JULY '22 | The Aurora Endeavor by @Kaiddance

About the story - "The Aurora Endeavor"

Chief Ash Taylor - the Aurora Endeavor's only female bridge crew officer - was born to sail. She's spent her entire adult career on the water, forging close bonds with fellow mariners and seeing the world.
When an adventure cruise on a fourteen day journey off the coast of Greenland goes horribly wrong, Chief Taylor and the crew must act quickly to save the ship - and everyone on board.

*

About the author - Kaiddance

Kristi Elliot has always been passionate about writing and storytelling. She describes herself as a curious writer who loves exploring different themes and motifs, particularly social issues. As part of her writing process, she loves immersing herself in her projects—diving headfirst into the research, production, and fine-tuning of the stories she feels are the most worthy of telling.

*

"I hate people. I really do. Why? Because we don't live in a world where humans can be civilized with each other. Oh no; everyone has to have everything now, and if that means you have to bend over backward and fart the National Anthem to accommodate them, so be it. And do they thank anyone? Nope. But they do scream over the smallest things, snap their fingers at me and whistle like I'm a dog, and act like the world is ending."

- from The Aurora Endeavor

*

Q. What made you start writing on Wattpad? What is your favorite moment so far on your writing journey here? 

I began my Wattpad journey in 2018. I'd been wanting to publish for a long time, but I needed feedback, and I had hoped this would be the place. One of my favorite moments was in the beginning when an Ambassador reached out to me from another profile, leaving all these amazing and encouraging comments on my story. If not for her, I might not have had motivation to continue writing my first story.

Q. "The Aurora Endeavor" revolves around a dynamic relationship in a cruise and a sea voyage full of laughter, sweat, and tears. What is your inspiration for this story? Did the concept of sea adventure and disaster trouble you in the process of writing this? 

The Aurora Endeavor is a story about overcoming hardship in the face of death and adversity. There is friendship and courage, and through it all, there are so many themes: platonic love, not judging a book by its cover, and most of all, not giving up.

My inspiration came from documentaries on disasters at sea -- in some of these, people survived, and in some, no one made it. The sea is a dangerous place, but there is a special comraderie among fellow mariners. Even if it means putting yourself in danger, the unwritten rule of the sea is to help others, no matter the cost.

Q. Rather than romance, this story focuses on family and friendship. In your words, what makes the comraderie and friendship special and unique to you and the readers?

Friendship is the foundation of any relationship. You have to have trust and respect for your fellow human beings, whether as a lover, family member, or close friend. But friendship, especially strong platonic bonds are a special form of family. You ride or die for these people. You follow them into battle or Hell, but you always have the other person's back. This particular relationship between Ash and Jax is special because they are practically siblings, despite not being biologically related. They will do anything for each other, and they know without a doubt the other will never let them down.

What makes this unique is that while nothing is ever 100% original anymore, I wanted a story with no romance. I wanted to give something fresh to the readers where it was about Ash's relationship and personal journey.

Q. Have you tried building various types of friendships/ family relationships in your story? In your opinion, what makes a relationship between the characters so impactful to the readers? Especially in family relationships and friendships. 

Besides Jax, Ash is well-liked among her colleagues and peers. But during the evacuation process, she comes across a character who, in most readers' minds, probably should have been thrown overboard at the beginning. However, as the story progresses, she learns more about him and what it means to form a surface opinion and then peel back the layers. I'd say the most impactful moment of the entire story is in Chapter 6 (sorry, no spoilers!) where you see Ash shine in one of the scariest moments in the story.

Q. What would you rather be: A partner in crime in a scientific world or a childhood friend in a fantasy world? 

Maybe a partner in crime in a fantasy world instead? Let me have the fantasy and friendship. The world can have the science.

Q. As a Wattys Winner, what advice can you give to those young writers who want to try writing themes mainly focusing on a relationship of family and friends?

Honestly, I wish I had a magic formula for the Wattys. There is never one aspect or another that will make you a winner, even in a story about friendship. If I'm being one hundred percent truthful, I never thought in a million years Zombie Soap would win. It was a fun surprise, especially because I love friendships more than anything. I focused on the characters' journey throughout, hoping to make it impactful as they went through their trials and tribulations together. There were a few rays of light in there, where they lifted each other up, and no matter what, they never abandoned each other.

My advice with the Wattys is simply to enjoy what you write, pay attention to the grammar, and POLISH, POLISH, POLISH! Then pray to the Big Orange and cross your fingers. And of course, support your fellow authors because being a sore loser and nasty winner are bad looks on anyone.

*

Thank you for joining this talk!

Check out this amazing ONC story at Kaiddance!

More to come,