JUNE'23 | Chasing Sunsets by @TellaAlvarez

About the story - "Chasing sunsets"

When popular Indie Adams gets paired with a boy she's never looked twice at for a photography project, she begins to see herself and her surroundings from a different lens.

Although her life looks picture perfect from the outside, there's more than meets the eye.

A story about love, healing, but most importantly about friendships- and the irrevocable bond that comes with being best friends.

*

About the author - TellaAlvarez

Tella Alvarez is a 28 year old Canadian mother and wife who found a love for writing during the pandemic. She focuses on mental health based writing, detailing complex feelings and emotions. She hopes to create comfort for her readers, allowing them to relate to characters who find themselves with problems that often happen in real life. 

*

"It makes you think, doesn't it? What moments will matter. It's never the moments you think will matter. It's never the big things, is it? It's the little things. The small things. The snapshot of a moment, the minutes and the tiny seconds. The ones that we don't know will matter. Maybe that's what life is about. The seconds and the minutes, not the years."

- from Chasing Sunsets

*

Q. What is the thing you love the most about writing on Wattpad? Which story do you enjoy writing the most so far?

The thing to enjoy most about writing on is the immediate reactions and commentary from my readers. I write my stories as I post them so my readers comments, can really influence how the story develops. Another part of Wattpad that I find really amazing is that you can post a story without any followers, and it can still be discovered and enjoyed by millions of people.

Q. "Chasing Sunset" focuses on not only the romance but the healing concept of friendship. Why did you choose to write it this way? What was the inspiration for it?

I chose to write Chasing Sunsets with not only the element of romance, but the main focus of the story being on friendship and healing because I wanted to write a story about falling in love while navigating grief at the same time. I wanted to have my main character, Indie, experience both the highs and the lows in life seemingly all at once, and I wanted to give him a way to navigate those emotions as organically as I could. 

Q. In order to convey and emphasize the special bond between the two characters as a friend, what was the process behind it? Did you face any challenges? 

Emphasizing the bond of friendship in the story really forced me to visit back to when I was a teenager, and the feeling that friendship can provide a young adult. There's a certain feeling that comes with a strong friendship formed as children, like there's no one else alive that can understand the bond between you. The main challenge I faced was trying to make it feel organic as possible, and trying to make the readers feel the immense love and respect between the characters. 

Q. What do you like most about Chasing Sunsets? And what is your favorite detail in the story?

What I like most about Chasing Sunsets is that it's much more than just a romance story. Even though there is romantic scenes that put butterflies in my stomach the story, and its entirety is so much more than that. It's about the bond of friendship, and how that bond can survive, even in the darkest situations. There's a complexity in the feelings of all the characters. 

Q. Any hobbies besides writing? One that related to friends?

As a mom to two young kids I don't have much time for hobbies besides writing however, my best friend lives in a different country, so I can appreciate how strong a best friend-bond can be. Especially when we don't see each other all that often. But when we are together, we enjoy watching Lord of the Rings together.

Q. As a Wattpad Creator, what is your advice or tips for others to write a good and healing friendship bond in a story?

 As a Wattpad creator, my best advice for anyone who's trying to write a story about not just friendship, but healing is to make your characters as authentic as you possibly can. Give your character flaws, give them some qualities that may not be the best qualities, and have them make mistakes. In reality every human has these flaws, and it makes it much easier for your reader to relate and connect to them. When your readers see themselves reflected in the characters, the healing happens not just in your story, but in your readers as well.

*

Thank you so much for joining this talk!

Have you read "Chasing Sunsets" yet? If not, you should check it out now. 

                     ~ More to come, friends.