JAN'23 | Impish by @papercutsunset

About the story - "IMPISH"

A half-demon, her best friend/semi-sibling, and recently-found dad set out on a road trip. 

*

About the author - papercutsunset

I'm Arby Rouse. I tend to write and enjoy (non-romantic) paranormal fiction. I'm currently a Criminal Justice major with a CSI concentration and a Queer Studies minor, and all of those areas of study affect my writing as much as my love for horror theory and monsters. I'm also a massive fan of playing TTRPGs like Monster Of The Week, Masks, and Pathfinder.

*

"I can't help but think that his crisis over whether or not a bunch of Juggalos ripped him off isn't exactly something that matters right now."  

- from Impish

*

Q. What makes you start writing on Wattpad? What is the most memorable moment you have encountered here? 

 So, I started writing on Wattpad when I was twelve or thirteen. My friends and I started an informal writing club at school (it was just our group of friends), which led to a few of them writing fanfiction and posting art here. I know a few of them (like my beloved Ryan-- ryanpants) still have their accounts but aren't particularly active anymore. 

 I ended up deleting my account for some personal reasons (there's a story there, but it's heavy), co-wrote some Black Butler fanfiction on my friend's account (you won't find it; she took it down a while ago), and started this one a few years later so I would have somewhere to post and share my writing. As much as I love Tumblr, it's hard to get engagement there sometimes.

I'll freely admit that the most memorable moment I had here was participating in some Percy Jackson roleplay with people I genuinely can't remember the names of, and I still have a lot of the things I wrote for it. Listen-- it was better than the Homestuck/fast food mascot/Creepypasta clown roleplay my friends and I did in high school, and I'll stand by that.

Q. Your story "Impish" is a paranormal-themed one, which revolves around Mikey, who seeks to find an answer with her father about the sudden magical changes in her life. What was the inspiration, or was there any alternative before this brilliant idea came out? 

 There are a few things that went into it. Initially, it was an ONC prompt that sparked the story, but I can see the influence of my own family and interests in the writing and certain aspects of the story. For example, I had to travel to Florida with my family for some personal reasons, which led to me bingeing all of Brimstone Valley Mall (a podcast about demons working at a mall in 1999) when we were in places without reception; I have always loved Tetris (I was playing it about three hours ago); and, at the time, I was very into the history of feminist punk music (something that makes it into a lot of my writing, if I'm being honest). Each of these things comes up in some fashion throughout Impish-- for example, Mikey is a massive fan of riot grrrl groups, and a large portion of the story is just... demons being vast pieces of shit and also people.