NOV' 22 | Existence Denied by @RogueWriter55

About the Story - Existence Denied

When Jared Johnson, a number specialist, cannot locate his death date, he panics at the oddity of the situation. The missing date sets off a chain of events, forcing him to change his beliefs about his foreordained society to save those he loves and the entire world. 

*

About the Author - RogueWriter55

Dee Jones is a wife and mother living in the Midwest. She is a former journalist, and although her career path ventured more toward the technical after graduating from a Big Ten university, she still dabbles in editing and tutoring high school and college students in writing. Dee has written a two-book series, the first of which was shortlisted for the 2021 Wattys as well as Existence Denied, shortlisted for the 2021 ONC contest. 

*

"The system we've lived by is failing. And thinking independently, feeling like I have a say in my destiny feels... liberating. I'm not sure I want to go back."

- from Existence Denied of Dee Jones

*

Q. What makes you start writing on Wattpad? What is the most memorable moment you have encountered here?

A friend of mine told me about Wattpad and asked me to join as she needed an editor, something I've done for years. Seeing all the books that everyday people like me had written made me want to try my hand at writing. The most memorable moment I've encountered on Wattpad was having a few people who read my work comment on how a story left them feeling happy. That is such an honor!

 Q. Your book 'Existence Denied' is set in an underworld with a very intriguing world system. What inspires you for the storyline? Did the ONC prompt you chose spark your ideas or did you originally have it in mind? 

The only inspiration for the story was the prompt from the ONC, so yes, it became the spark. I didn't have an idea in mind or an outline. Existence Denied was my redemption story as it was written during a time when I doubted myself when it came to writing. I just sat and typed, and it's no joke when people say they let the characters lead them.

Q. According to you, what makes the relationships of the characters impactful and unforgettable to the readers? How did you manage to build up the tension while maintaining a healthy relationship throughout the story? 

 I'd say the most impactful and unforgettable part of Jared and Lorraine's relationship is how different they are, not just in color or nationalities, but how he believes in a predestined society, and she doesn't. Building the tension became easy because Lorraine chips away at Jared's erroneous beliefs with hard, cold facts like the cop she used to be. When he finally believes... it's too late.

Q. What are your favorite details in your story? 

 One of my favorite details in the book is making the character Lorraine, a retired Irish cop. The language she uses from her homeland is rich and supports her persona of a strong, capable woman, not a damsel in distress. Another favorite is the theme that perfection can also be a flaw. 

Q. What is your favorite series related to family and friendship?

Hands down, The Belgariad is an old series, but still the best I've ever read. it has all the elements of friends, family, and togetherness. 

Q. What advice or tips can you give to new writers who want to try writing themes revolving around a healthy relationship?

I'd advise new writers to know their characters. Opposites attract, which leads to chemistry and attraction, which does not mean automatic love. If possible, build on the characters' foundation, show their friendship, and, most importantly, let them be equals.

*

Thank you so much for joining, Dee!

Have you read this amazing story alongside RogueWriter55 's other stories? Check out their account for more!

More to come, friends!