~Traffic~

A typical Monday morning on the busy streets of Dansoman, a suburb of Accra. Commercial buses known as trotro lined up on the road due to the heavy traffic. Hawkers displaying their wares, the sachet water sellers with their high pitched voices to make their presence known, pedestrians on the sidewalk; some walking swiftly, others stepped at a normal pace.
A sound system could be heard announcing herbal medicine at a distance.

In short, everyone was bustling and hustling.

In a particular car sat Lisa frequently wiping her sweaty face. The car was full, obviously, today was a busy day. The majority of the passengers complained of the trouble of going through traffic before reaching their destinations, late as usual. Lisa wasn't excluded, she also was complaining not only about the traffic but of the fact that she was denied appraisal regardless of her being a hardworking and disciplined employee. She didn't understand her boss sometimes. At least the promotion would save her the trouble of sitting in traffic because she would order an Uber to work on such busy days as this one.

She worked in a pharmacy as Medical Counter Assistant, with other two lazy fellows who had to ditch the work on her unless the Boss comes around, they portray hardworking skills. They sometimes run shifts but what she dreaded most is when they work along with her on the same shift.

She also preferred night shifts because they also detested that, claiming they were scared of attacks or robbery. One man's meat is another man's poison as they say.

Gradually, the traffic was fading away and Lisa sighed in relief. The car zoomed off as hawkers standing in the traffic scurried away with their wares. In such situations, these people are vulnerable to accidents, especially hits, and runs.

"Mate! I'll alight at the nearest junction" Lisa told the bus conductor. She hurriedly stepped down, taking strides to the pharmacy on the top floor.

" Good morning Atipo" she greeted the security man briefly. She didn't wait for him to respond and ascended the stairs. She was running late. One thing was that they file in their time of arrival and departure for future reference. There was Serwaa behind the counter busily occupied with whatever that had caught her attention on her phone oblivious to what was happening.

Lisa ignored her and stood behind the counter, she whispered some prayers and started the day with optimism and basking in smiles; her potion that worked on almost all the customers.

Minutes later, Serwaa sensed someone's presence, she eyed Lisa with sheer contempt, hissed and stepped out. She envied Lisa so much that she would do anything to be in her place. She envied the way customers smiled at Lisa and complimented her, especially the attractive men.

Lisa could only chuckle at her attitude. She walked to the counter filing her arrival as usual and set everything in order then proceeded to work.

A customer walked in. "Hello, welcome," Lisa said, beaming with smiles.

"I've been experiencing runny stools for some days now. I don't know the cause so I decided to come here to inquire about the cause."

"When did you start experiencing this symptom and any other symptoms?" She asked.

" Last week."

She frowned. " I'm afraid you'll have to go to the hospital, you've experienced too much watery stools and the amount of fluid in you has lessened so you have to be cured in the hospital".

The man's face dropped. "I don't have money to pay for such bills, the only money I have is what I'm using to purchase the drug, " he lamented.

Lisa could only sigh. "Let me give you an affordable yet effective drug that will abate the watery stools and also maintain some fluids till you're ready to go to the hospital."

She walked to the shelves and brought green and ash tablets. "This is Colodium, you'll take it after meals, " she instructed,writing the prescription on a small zipped bag.

The man nodded and handed over Ghc 20 to her. She declined, "Let it be, you need the money to buy food to take your medication."

"You're selfless and compassionate" he simply said.

She smiled and handed his medication to him. "If the symptoms persist, don't self-medicate. Kindly walk over here for assistance." She added.

"Thank you."

One good turn deserves another. She always referred.
She would deduct the money from her salary.

Minutes passed to hours, but no sign of a customer. It was almost lunch too so she picked up her purse and walked out to satisfy her appetite. She didn't care if there was no one in the pharmacy because literally, it was lunchtime. One should have been in there but since a lazy fellow refuses, she couldn't sacrifice her hunger for someone who's not worth it.

Within some minutes, she got herself some fried potatoes, fried chicken, and some freshly pressed pineapple juice to wash it down. As she was coming back, she noticed Serwaa flirting with a guy beside his car, wriggling her body like a worm that has been sprinkled with salt. She just spat out in disgust and went away.

Minutes later Serwaa stepped in smiling stupidly like an idiot.
"You were supposed to be here watching over the place, but instead you were out there acting all lovey-dovey." Lisa scolded.

Serwaa could only roll her eyes and hissed at her. Lisa just shook her head in disbelief. Lisa couldn't understand why Serwaa refused to obey the rules enacted by Boss, using her phone at odd hours. She couldn't also report them to the boss, because this might be their only source of income, and didn't want to be the center of hatred.

She pushed the thoughts aside and continued with her work.

Please if you love it leave a comment and a vote
Constructive criticisms are allowed
They are my inspiration