November 3rd

Welcome to hell.

That's not really what the doormat says, but it's close. It really says Welcome to our home.

I wait outside of Artie's house, where everyone planned to meet through a group text that Thom started. He's the most peaceful one out of us, because he has a friendship with everyone but Aria, so when he was the one who texted, it was more tolerable than if it was me or Collin.

I tap my foot and ring the doorbell again. What is Artie?

Finally, a middle-aged man opens the door with a bright smile. "And you must be Nichole!"

I nod and grin. He has Artie's same eyes, so I'm guessing that this is Artie's dad.

"Come in, everyone else is here!" He ushers me inside and through a series of hallways. Finally, we reach the door that leads to Artie's room or basement.

Mr. Smith leaves and I stand there, just debating for a minute if I should just run or go down there. I decide not to be a wimp and go down there.

Everyone is down there. The tension level is so high you can feel it as soon as you walk in. Thom is on the floor, a keyboard in his lap. Artie and Aria are on his bed, on phones. Collin is just there, and his face lights up immediately when he sees me. I drop on the floor next to him and gently put my guitar beside me.

It's silent. You can actually hear crickets. And tense.

Finally, the peacemaker Thom speaks up. "So, how has everyone been doing lately?"

No one replies. He sinks back and lowers his face.

"So, um, are we still doing the original songs?" I ask.

"Um, actually, Thom and I talked, and we wanna do a cover of King For A Day by Pierce The Veil," Artie says.

Thom nods. "The beginning and bridge."

"The screamo part," Artie says, grinning. "I'm gonna cover the Vic Fuentes part."

I nod. "You guys will rock it."

"This is the most everyone has talked for a week," Aria says, hugging her legs to her chest. "It's amazing how music can bring people together."

I stare at her. "That was the most meaningful think I've ever heard you say."

"It's true though," Aria protests.

"Guys, we should practice," Collin says.

I ruffle his hair. "Look at Collin, being all micro-managing."

He smacks my hand away. "Shut up."

"He's right, we should get started," Aria says, straightening out her legs. "I obviously couldn't bring my drum set today. So I brought a practice pad and drumsticks." She pulls out the materials.

Everyone begins pulling instruments and sheet music.

"I found an understudy for us," I say conversationally.

Artie looks at me. "Who?"

"Xander Graham."

Aria winces. "Ew."

"Grow a pair and work with the stoner," I say irritably.

Everyone is silent.

After a while, Thom says, "Okay. So I guess it would be safe to say that this negative energy is not needed here right now, since we all basically hate each other and one of us might kill one another at any moment. So no insults, okay?"

"Okay," everyone echoes.

From there on, it is utter peace.

I help Collin play guitar on One Thing and the other songs. Artie works by himself, practicing I Don't Care by Fall Out Boy.

But when Thom and Aria work together... The look on Thom's face when she screws up and he needs to help her, it's the look of love.

I think that Thom still loves Aria. No, not think, I know. He's never exactly gotten over her.

Thom notices me watching and I wink at him. He smiles with his lips closed, and resumes working with Aria.

Collin snaps his fingers. "Nichole?"

I smile at his guitar playing. "Nice, you are finally getting it!"

I pick up my guitar. "Ready to play together?"

He nods, and fixes his fingerings.

"Hey!" I yell. Everyone stops doing whatever they're doing. "You are all about to miss some seriously great duet-ness."

I look to Collin, and he nods again.

My fingers strum the chords from memory, and my voice knows exactly what to do when I sing. Collin sings great as well, but that's no surprise seeing as that's how he got into this school.

We finish, and look up. Everyone is staring with obvious surprise.

I giggle. "Why are you all so shocked?"

"Because you sing like a pair of angels from above, that's why!" Thom yells, with the most flamboyant tone one could ever make.

"Are you sure you're not gay?" I ask him jokingly.

"Wait, what?" Aria asks him alarmingly.

"I am not doubting my sexuality anymore, thank you very much Nichole!" Thom shouts again.

Artie jumps and claps a hand over Thom's mouth. "Shut up! My dad will kick us out if he hears shit like that that disturbs him!"

We all start laughing. This is the first time we've laughed crazily since the party, and it feels so weird to be with them again.

Us in our little group. The misfits. The popular one, the emo one, the tech nerd, the Aussie, and me. How we're all together and how stuff like that can happen.

"All right, enough, we need to practice," Thom says, holding up his palm.

The hour goes by so much more quickly. There are definite highlights to today. The one song we all can accomplish is Call Me Maybe, because it's a simple pop song. We also manage to play part of King For A Day. Because we are just that awesome.

The timer that Thom set goes off. "Okay, guys, time's up. Artie, Nichole, you're coming with me. Zayn is waiting out front. I'm surprise adopting you both."

Wait. Kidnapping?

----------------------------------------

Boom! Cliffhanger!

Don't worry, nothing bad happens :)

Happy Valentine's Day <3

I updated early!

Vote, comment, share this story! :) -哎玛