words to you

the women of the ohashi bloodline has always been able to see spirits.

it started during the azuchi-momoyama period, when one of the daughters married a man from the kamo clan.

the husband unfortunately died early, getting killed by a cursed spirit. two days before his death, though, he gave his beloved wife, who was sick at the time, a medicine he got from an acquaintance. later, it was revealed that the medicine was made from flowers that were created purely out of cursed energy.

at first the wife's body was rejecting the sudden amount of cursed energy that entered her body, but then...

a spirit appeared.

....is what you have been told, yes?

indeed, we have always been able to see those unsightly creatures. in the crook of narrow alleys, near where water flows in a steady stream, latching onto men and women alike. indeed, it started from when a daughter of the ohashi married a son of the kamo. at last, the husband left behind the wife, soul dispersing and becoming one with nature.

it has been thousands of years. i do not blame you. nor anyone. it was inevitable that a story such as this had become lost in history. come on now, stop looking at me like that.

the first user had fallen sick, but not because of an illness.

michazune was a strong and healthy young woman. she worked alongside her beloved, exorcising curses and keeping their humble little village safe together. if one was sick, the other took care of them. i have heard a version that it was kamo that had always fallen ill, and michazune would always be there to nurse him back to health.

then -

...

...

...why are you in such a rush? just lay still.

one day, someone had cursed michazune. humans are wicked. the curse they had sent had corrupted her heart. it was as if they knew michazune had a strong body, yet a fragile heart. i suspect it was the doing of one of the main clans at the time. perhaps, even the kamo clan themselves.

...

well, is it not obvious? sending a weak kamo clan member to be wed with someone like michazune, their motives are clear as day. the kamo son was in the dark, though. he had thought it was because they both had been running around venturing into the depths the day before, and somehow brought back a curse with them.

and so he went to his clan, asking for assistance.

he came back with a concoction, one that was said it would cleanse the mind, heart, and soul. kamo knelt beside his bedridden wife, hoping she would get better. lifting up a bowl to her lips, he fed the medicine.

two days later, michazune indeed got better.

it was wonderful. she ran around with her husband, resuming their usual routine. the two never separated from each other.

and then, two days later, michazune killed him.

she killed him, and drunk his blood. then, she secluded herself in their little house, the kamo's body rotting into the wooden floor. anyone who came to check up on them was killed by her. however, she never did anything more than taking their lives.

later, she was found out, and was sentenced to death.

she wasn't the only one who had sinned.

ohashi enko had also drunk her husband's blood. at least, while doing so, she still had some consciousness remaining - she was crying when she did it.

ohashi kyoko slit her own twin sister's neck. chiyoshi was the same, but with her brother.

and i...

i dug out my husband's heart.

along with my daughter's.

...

i am sure you understand now, yes?

a pity. miyuki had once told me how you would never ever turn out like the rest of us. that you were a special child, so she told me to make sure you limited your cursed energy usage. that you had a pure heart, one that will never be stained by the filth of this world - by the filth of our curse.

your grandmother could not be more wrong.

but... ah.

yes, i am sure you of all people should know that.