two . egg tart (1)

note: if ur expecting for canon characters to appear, then i have bad news for u..

for a majority of the early chapters, i'll be including a /lot/ of my ocs! canons might/might not start appearing after that. you'll see why when u read on. :D

happy reading!

-

fall 2006.

"ayame-chan, what's wrong?" the teacher asks with furrowed brows. her hand gently touches the little girl who is staring into the distance.

"sensei... is he okay?"

ayame was 6 when she started seeing those... weird things.

"he's bleeding, sensei... we should help him..."

the cursed spirit stares back at the child, it's red eyes wide. ayame thinks its head looks like a deformed meatball, though that wasn't her main focus. the black liquid gushing out of its torso caught her attention the most.

the teacher smiles. "what are you talking about? no one's bleeding, ayame-chan."

"b-but..."

"come, let's go. break is almost over."

"hey, kid!"

ayame stops in her tracks, halting the teacher as well. the girl turns her head towards the creature while the elder woman looks at her in confusion.

"ayame-chan? let's go."

"wait, he's..."

the creature lunges forward. its mouth opened wide, revealing sharp fangs coated in blood. saliva dripped from them and onto the floor.

though before it could reach the girl, its body starts to crumble into... flower petals?

ayame's eyes widen.

'pretty,' she thinks as she watches the process. screams from the cursed spirit fell to deaf ears. 'flowers... they're so pretty...'

present - 2016

"ayame! wake up, i'm opening soon!"

the girl jolts awake from her nap, swiping away the drool that trailed from her mouth during her sleep. she looks around the bakery, sighing quietly when no one was there to see her in such an embarrassing state.

she turns towards the middle-aged woman behind the counter who was shaking her head. "wash your face—you look horrible."

"mom..."

getting up from a table, she ambles towards her mother before leaning on the counter. the woman shakes her head as she looks at her daughter, disapproval evident in her face. despite that, she strokes the girl's head. "don't you have club activities today?"

ayame shakes her head. "i'm not even in a club..."

ms. ohashi clicks her tongue. "what happened to that calligraphy club? you're going to be a high school student in four months, ayame. if you don't have enough credits then how are you going to a good school?" she says, as she flips over the 'OPEN' sign on the door.

ayame ducks her head and scratches it in the process. "it's already too late, mom... and the calligraphy club disbanded after our senpais graduated..."

ding!

the mother speeds off to the kitchen at the sound of the oven. though, before that, she says,"ayame, take care of those pests at the front door, will you?"

pests?

ayame glances at the door, before letting out an 'oh'.

a swarm of a cursed spirit that looks like bees were gathered close to the sign hanging on the door. the girl approaches them with a brow lifted. "how did mom even avoid touching them? jeez..."

the women of the ohashi bloodline has always been able to see spirits.

it started during the azuchi-momoyama period, when one of the daughters married a man from the kamo clan.

the husband unfortunately died early, getting killed by a cursed spirit. two days before his death, though, he gave his beloved wife, who was sick at the time, a medicine he got from an acquaintance. later, it was revealed that the medicine was made from flowers that were created purely out of cursed energy.

at first the wife's body was rejecting the sudden amount of cursed energy that entered her body, but then...

a spirit appeared.

and there ends ayame's knowledge of her technique's history.

she never found out what the spirit actually did, but she deducted that it helped stabilise the cursed energy for the wife. y'know, since she've pretty much inherited the technique herself.

who knew there were such spirits that are willing to help humans.