Chapter Fourteen

There were a few stipulations after that night. First, Sicheng was going to be sent back after he was presented to the council- as such, this wouldn't be until after Yuta was officially installed. Until that point, everyone there that night agreed to keep your... genetics a secret. The second stipulation was one you had offered to do yourself, much to Yuta's dismay.

Your father was able to quickly find an onyx necklace for you. It's managed to keep your powers from flaring up, but at a cost. You were constantly falling asleep, exhausted, and were struggling more than you normally did during finals week. If you could maybe see Yuta more, maybe you'd feel less... exhausted, but he was constantly being whisked away for a new arbitrary task.

Today, you were hoping to sit with him for more than fifteen minutes. You were on your couch in your dorm, laying on his lap and playing with his fingers, your eyes feeling heavy.

"Why are you wearing that?" Yuta asked, his hands letting go of yours and moving to trace over the onyx necklace on your collarbone.

"You know why," you sighed. No matter how little time you got with him, one thing was consistent- he would always get frustrated staring at the stone weighing you down. It kept everyone safe, this he was sure of, but he was also sure that it sapped any energy you did have.

He pressed his lips together in a thin line. His fingers moved to stroke your hair, now visibly lost in thought.

"Did they finally tailor your coronation suit?" The suit was supposedly something traditionally handcrafted and embellished in the colors of the coronated person's family crest. If the soon to be leader had a betrothed, the coronation outfit was to have their colors as well to reflect that they too would have an impact in the courts.

Yuta had initially asked if you would like your own family's colors on his outfit, but you admitally pushed him against the idea. If the council didn't like you when you were human, you could only imagine how they would feel if they found out you were the daughter of Satan and the reason the original heir had died. You had to admit though, it was a wonderful feeling for Yuta to even consider it nonetheless.

"Yeah, I'd show you but it's a surprise."

"Ten says he's seen it though."

"Ten gives very helpful fashion advice- plus, if I have to have another oligarchy family member there I'd prefer it be Ten."

"You could have just asked Jaemin. He already knows what you're going to look like anyways," you chuckled dryly, stifling a yawn as you did.

"That's it," Yuta huffed getting up so quickly you almost didn't have time to move out of his way. "Put on your coat and come with me."

Raising an eyebrow, you sloppily grabbed the coat you had strewn onto your kitchen table, and followed Yuta. Oddly enough, walking on the path with him, you realized you were headed towards the main building. It was around three in the morning at this point, so the human students were scarce at best, with mostly just occasional mythics out in groups enjoying themselves.

"Why are we here?" your voice carried through the main building now, the echoes jarring you.

"Sicheng is in the basement, right? I don't have access to the room," Yuta half ignored you, his head darting around to make sure no one else was in the building. "We need to ask him something."

"What-?"

"Just trust me," his eyes were pleading, and they glanced down to where the onyx sat on your collarbone. You were concerned, yes, but you were also curious. Johnny and your father were the ones primarily handling and taking care of Sicheng to both get information and make sure he stayed well taken care of considering the circumstances. You hadn't been around him since the night in the restaurant. Everytime you thought about him, you were reminded of the monster that sat inside of you.