Chapter 4 ~ What Can We Do Without Making Things Worse?

Lila glanced around the room, her eyes wide, "How do three widows just vanish?!"

"They were on a mission in France," Melina responded. "We were communicating with them over the radio. There was a loud crash, then nothing."

Rima looked sick, her face twisting up into sadness again. Anna placed a hand on her shoulder and gave her a sad smile. Adira clasped Rima's hand tightly, as if if she let go Rima would disappear too.

"We went down to find them, but we didn't see anything," Melina finished.

"What about their trackers?" Yelena asked.

Melina shook her head. "There's no signal being sent or received."

Silence fell over the group.

Lila tried to imagine what the widows must have been feeling, being reminded about the loss of some of their family. Or sort of family. Lila wasn't exactly sure how they felt about each other, but they all seemed close enough to be a family.

They feel like how I felt when Inaya took Nate. Lila realized.

She clenched her jaw, "We're getting them back."

All the widows turned to her in surprise. This side of her was different. It definitely wasn't the bubbly happy side that they had met a moment ago. No, now she was frowning, her tone of voice serious.

Yelena nodded, "Of course we are."

"How?" Rima asked, biting her lip, "We've tried already."

"Then we should try again," Natasha said.

"And this time you'll have us to help you," Clint added.

Lila nodded vigorously, glad that her dad supported her in the decision to help them.

"What if we don't want your help?" Vaani asked, "How can we be sure you'd actually help us?"

Wanda stepped forward, "We understand why you are hesitating to trust us. Is there something we can do to get you to trust us?"

Melina, Vaani, and Sonia glanced at each other.

"No," Melina finally said, "Nothing that won't take too long of a time."

"Then how about you let us help for now. If we do something to make you not trust us, then you can kick us out," Clint said.

The three protective widows glanced at each other again.

Vaani glared at them, "You'd like to make things better, but what can you do without making things worse?"

"Ella, Nichole, Adira, will you take the Avengers outside until we come and get you?" Sonia said softly before Clint could reply and most likely make things worse.

Ella nodded and grabbed Lila's hand, pulling her out the door. Nichole followed, taking Clint and Wanda with her.

Adira stood her ground, hands clenched at her sides, "I'm not leaving."

"Adira-"

"No. Vikki, Jaiyara, Hazel, and Asteria are our family too! We should get to hear this conversation!"

Evelyn nodded, "She's right."

Sonia sighed, "I know. I was just trying to keep you from worrying about this too... sometimes I forget how much you have already seen of this dark world."

Adira's hands relaxed, "Sometimes... I do too."

Vaani's gaze darkened. These kids shouldn't have to have dealt with the torture of the Red Room and the aftermath of it. Because that's what they were. Kids. They should be able to be what they want to be, not what the Red Room put into their minds.