Chapter 5 ~ It Probably Won't Get Better

Running.

She was running.

From what?

There was nothing to run from.

She couldn't remember the last time she stopped. She couldn't remember the last time she was safe.

She kept running.

She went the wrong way.

Ended up in the wrong place.

It was all wrong.

There was a man.

Her heart almost seemed to stop when she met his gaze.

This wasn't how things were supposed to go.

She wasn't supposed to be here.

She wanted to die, to be freed from this place

"None of it is real, Yelena," he spoke.

Dreykov grinned,

"You never left."

Yelena woke up afraid.

No. She was nervous. She. Was. Not. Afraid. She was never afraid. Widows didn't feel fear.

Yelena woke up nervous.

It was still early in the morning, too dark outside to see anything clearly. It had been a long time since Yelena had been at the Farm when one of her dreams had struck. However, she still knew the way to the gym.

Yes, the Farm had a full gym. Melina thought it would be best to get one after letting more than thirty widows call the Farm home. Or at least as close to a home as they could get.

Yelena went through the movements she always did when this happened. Or one of the kinds of movements. Sometimes she went for runs instead. Running until she had to stop because her legs felt like they would collapse under her. Running away from everything.

That's what you do. You run.

Yelena pushed the thought out of her mind as she took a swing at the punching bag. She hadn't bothered to wrap her hands or wrists. There was no point when she knew how to punch without hurting herself.

That's what she did.

She punched.

Each punch was accented with a thought whirling through her mind. No, not thoughts, memories. Painful, sharp, memories. Memories you can't just forget.

Why is it we forget the good things more easily than the bad ones?

Whispers, in her head, whirling, swirling, growing louder.

They were so loud.

Yelena couldn't hear her own thoughts anymore.

So she kept punching.

She wanted the memories to go away. To just leave her alone. How was she supposed to be perfect when all of these memories were haunting her?

How was she supposed to be perfect when she so obviously wasn't?

She couldn't be perfect.

She kicked, the punching bag swung outward.

Yelena dodged it when it came back.