Chapter 8 ~ Seven Seconds Too Long

Hello. It's been a while.

I'm currently sick so I took the chance to update this book lol. I hope the chapter makes sense. Quick hasn't edited it yet, so I'm not sure.

Enjoy the chapter!

It was safe to say that none of them would get any sleep that night. So instead, as soon as they had finished the conversation, they split into groups and went out to find the Widows.

There were still two or three hours of sunlight left, and they couldn't waste any time anyway. After much longer, any leads they did find couldn't be confirmed as reliable, if they found any leads at all.

And so Yelena found herself walking through the city with Tatyana and Evelyn. It wasn't the worst of the Widows she could have gotten grouped with, so at least that was something.

Still, Yelena couldn't help but feel that Evelyn was mad at her for something. She always acted so aloof around her. She supposed that since they hadn't seen each other for a long time, and even after Yelena came back from being dusted, they had grown apart.

Maybe Yelena could take the time to rebuild their relationship?

As if anyone would want to have a relationship with you. Romantic or Platonic. I bet that's why you aren't dating anyone.

No, I just don't like anyone like that.

Or maybe you know that no one would love you back so you pretend you can't love anyone.

Whatever the case is, we both agree that I don't like anyone in that way.

No. You just pretend you don't.

Shut up. I don't need to listen to you anymore.

As if you could stop listening. You need me to give you the baseline of reality, Yelena. Like how none of this is real. You're just making it all up.

"-lena. Yelena!"

Yelena snapped her eyes up to catch Tatyana's gaze, "Sorry. What?"

"We're thinking that maybe some more of the leads might be on the roofs. Rima and her team said she'd take the streets if we head up there. Got that?" Tatyana asked, a concerned frown crossing her features.

Yelena nodded, "Let's go."

And so they went.

Evelyn led the way, walking into an alley. She used the tightness of the gap between the buildings to her advantage by bouncing between them so she could grab the edge of the roof. Instead of pulling herself up, she did a quick flip and landed on the edge, waiting for the other two to catch up to her.

"She may be small, but she ain't anything but mighty," Tatyana commented before bouncing between the walls and flipping over the edge of the roof instead of grabbing onto it.

Yelena quickly followed, running up the wall and bouncing to the other side before grabbing the roof edge and pulling herself up.

"Ready?"

Yelena and Evelyn nodded.

"...How do we know if whatever we find is evidence that ties back to the others...?" Adira asked.

Natasha was glad she finally was able to ask the question. She had watched the young widow spend the last twenty or so minutes, ever since they were assigned to this team together, in unsure silence.