Chapter 6 ~ It Just Gets Taken Away From Us

The first time Lila was ever going to be on a plane--or well a jet-- and it was going to take off at four in the morning and take over three hours. She wasn't sure if she should be happy that she gets to spend more time with the others, or annoyed because apparently "too dark to see your hand in front of your face" was the perfect time to leave.

Usually, Lila would be fine for leaving on an adventure at any time of day, (or night in this case). But she was already worried about how the flight would go, and about trying to be friends with the Widows. Key word being trying.

And she would be lying if she said she wasn't so nervous about getting the missing widows back that she wanted to throw up. Or maybe she was just worried flying would make her throw up.

Her mind couldn't stop running through the different scenarios that could happen. And it didn't help when she had no idea how real missions usually go.

She had only been on one mission before, and it wasn't even real! It was just a spur of the moment rescue mission... that went horribly wrong and ended up causing both Lila and Wanda to get trapped.

And Wanda got injured...

Lila shook her head, scattering the thoughts. Those did not help her mood or nervousness at all.

She looked to her side, where her dad was restringing his bow. They had been on the plan for a half an hour, and he had already done it over ten times.

"Do that anymore, Dad, and you're going to break the string," Lila told him.

He smiled sheepishly. "I know, it just helps me feel like I'm more prepared to handle the unknown."

"Oh... Is there something that might help me calm down?" Lila asked.

Clint shrugged, shooting her a small smile, "It's different for every person. Maybe you could go see what the others are doing to stay calm."

Lila nodded, knowing that was Clint's way of telling her to go talk to people to distract herself. She slipped out of her seat and walked up a few rows to where Adira and Evelyn were sitting and talking between themselves.

"Hey," Lila said.

"Hey," Evelyn replied.

Adira didn't say anything, but gave Lila a small smile instead.

"Do you need something?" Evelyn asked.

"I was just wondering if there was something you did before missions to calm down?" Lila asked, feeling the need to explain more, she continued, "I was just trying to figure out a way to calm myself down, but can't think of any."

The two widows looked at each other then back at her.

"Uhm, nevermind, I'll go ask someone else," Lila said after a moment of silence. She turned to leave.

"Breathing exercises," Adira said quietly, stopping Lila in her tracks.

"What?" Lila asked, turning back to them.

"I do breathing exercises," Adira repeated, "It helps calm me down and focus."

Evelyn nodded, "Meditation is good too."

"Is that what you do?"

"Yep. It helps me pull my thoughts together." Evelyn said.

Lila nodded, "Those are helpful, thanks."

Adira and Evelyn nodded in reply. As Lila continued forward, she started thinking about the two widows. Adira was only a few years older than Lila, but she was so shy, and distant. And Evelyn was only a few years older than Adira, and she seemed even more closed off.