3. Macchiato

☕☕☕

“I like to stay hydrated with water throughout the day and snack on apples, but my guilty pleasure would definitely be a caramel macchiato from Starbucks!” - Janel Parrish

Clark looked on as the girl in front of him tasted his lasted creation. Her eyes were closed as she brought the cup to her full plump lips. If someone had told him over a week ago that he would be in this position, trying to find the coffee taste buds of a complete stranger, he would have laughed in their faces and walked out still dying of laughter.

But now here he was.

Having the sort of distraction he needed to not think about what was about to happen to his beloved coffee shop. As much as business was good for him here, he still didn’t own the place and the owner wanted to demolish and put in something flashier and even more expensive like the rest of the street.

The charm of the coffee shop was that it was different than everything else on the street. It was one of the three shops on the streets that hadn’t changed since they were first built. And now that was going to change because of modernization.

As much as he embraced change, there were some moments that he wished nothing ever changed. He didn’t want this sweet haven he had created to be ruined. He didn’t know if he would ever find a place like this again and create what he had.

And what he was about to create with this sweet girl in front of him. How long was it awkward to ask for a person’s name after meeting them?

He knew some of the people who frequented his coffee’s shop’s names because they’ve been with him since the beginning and over time he had to learn their name. Not that he ever wanted to.

But this girl, in front of him, who looked like a teddy bear with those big brown eyes and chubby cheeks, he needed to learn her name.

She finally opened those beautiful eyes and looked up at him. He could tell she was trying to keep her reaction from him like she did the last time. And it was cute. But he could tell, as her eyes were windows to her soul, that the macchiato did not do it for her. He didn’t care. It just meant that she will be back to try something new another day. And he’d be lying if he said he wasn’t looking forward to it.

“what do you think?” he asked though he already knew the answer.

She removed the cup from her lips, the remnants of foam on her top lip. He swallowed the desire in his throat to reach forward and wipe it from her lips and take it to his mouth. Maybe her taste as well will linger in it.

Don’t go there, Clark. He told himself and shifted on his feet.

“It’s not so bad,” she said in that low voice of hers and looked to the table. “It’s not too sweet or bitter.”

Which was why he had chosen it. The macchiato was simply a shot of espresso in steamed milk with foam. He knew she hated the bitter taste of just the espresso and didn’t like the sweetness in the latte, so the macchiato was a sweet bet. Now he had to think of something else to serve her when she came again.

He nodded and added the details to the notepad. “Noted.”

Amanda took another sip before giving up on the drink altogether. She reached for the napkin on the table and wiped the top of her lips.

“So far we’ve had three drinks and I cant stand them all,” she groaned. “Maybe I am a tea person.”

He couldn’t help the quirk of his lips at that. “You’ve never tried tea before.”

She looked at him and damn those big eyes. “Maybe we should just give up and I stick to juice and milk. I’ve been doing just fine with them my whole life.”

Clark took a mental note of that. She liked milk in her drinks. So everything he had to make, has to have milk in it. The cappuccino was sounding more appealing now. Or maybe cafe latte. Both good options.

“You need a little bit of an adventure from that,” he said and didn’t miss the look that passed through her eyes. He frowned. He didn’t have to ask the question that crossed his mind, as she already provided the answer with her next statement.

“I’m not good at adventures,” she said, subconsciously bringing the cup to her mouth and taking a sip. She grimaced and pushed the cup away from her. “This is the most adventurous I’ve ever been in my life.”

She looked up at him, a sad smile forming on her lips. He didn’t like that one bit. “I’m more practical.”

Clark shook his head. “I don’t believe that.”

Amanda chuckled and looked to the table. “You don’t know me to know.”

She stood up from the stool and reached inside her purse, for cash Clark was sure.

“It’s on the house,” Clark said.

She looked up, this time her smile was genuine. “So were my last two drinks, I’ll think I’m running you out of business if I don’t pay.”

Clark shook his head, the reminder like a slap to the face. “It’s not you running me out of business.”

Amanda looked up at him, the question clear in her eyes. Gosh, he wanted to tell her. All of his troubles. But he held back. They might be forming some kind of friendship between them, but it wasn’t strong enough to weigh her with all of his trouble.

“Can I ask you something?” he asked before she could voice her own question.

She nodded.

He cracked a smile. “I don’t just offer free drinks to anyone. It’d be nice to know your name.”

What he hadn’t expected was for her to smile at him like that. Gosh, she was beautiful.

“Amanda,” she responded.

He nodded. “It’s great knowing you, Amanda.” Just for the sake of it he added. “I’m Clark.”

Her smile brightened. God, help him. “I know.”

Then she walked out of his shop. Her name lingered on his lips.

Amanda.

☕☕☕

CheekySally