6. Flat White

‘I got hooked on espresso when I visited Italy at 18, but these days I prefer a ‘flat white.’ it’s like a small with less milk- they’re popular in Australia.’
Hugh Jackman.

☕☕☕

“I can’t believe you hid this amazing coffee shop with the cute baristas from me,” Analisse scolded and looked to the counter where Clark was reciting an order to Cube. “Though I can understand why.”

Amanda sighed. “I didn’t hide it from you. It just never seemed to come up when we met.”

Analisse looked to her friend offended. “This is the most out of character thing you have done since you ditched Friday night study for a movie night. Why wouldn’t it ever come up?”

Amanda bit the inside of her lip. “I guess I figured you’d think it had something to do with Michael.”

Analisse rolled her eyes. “why would a simple coffee shop make me think of Michael?” then she looked to her friend closely. “Does it?”

Amanda gave a nod and looked at the table they had settled on while waiting for their orders. It was farther from Clark-er the counter than she had ever been in here.

“I wouldn’t have stumbled upon it if not for what he said about me being uptight. I guess I just wanted to prove to myself that I wasn’t.”

Analisse took her friend’s hand and squeezed. “Michael was a jackass. He didn’t know what he had and now he might as well have lost the best thing that has ever happened to him.”

Amanda smiled at her friend. “Thanks, Lis. But you didn’t say I wasn’t uptight.”

Analisse grinned. “But aren’t you though?”

Amanda laughed and pushed her friend lightly. “I hate you.”

“I love you too, babe,” Analisse winked.

“these must be yours.”

The girls looked up as Clark placed their orders in front of them. Amanda looked worriedly to the counter but quickly relaxed when she saw that Cube was manning it.

“Thank you, handsome,” Analisse said pulling her double espresso closer to her. Amanda grimaced. She couldn’t believe anyone would drink that vile thing doubled. Clark like usual noticed her grimace and chuckled. Which had Analisse looking between the two of them, eyebrows raised.

“Is there a story here?” Analisse asked.

“An espresso was the first drink Amy tried here,” his mouth was still cracked in that beautiful smile. “she didn’t like it.”

Analisse looked offended at her friend but there was something else underlying it. It was obvious she had heard the nickname and how Amanda hadn’t reprimanded him for using it. Amanda knew she wasn’t going to get away with this.

“How can you not like this? It’s amazing,” Analisse said and took a sip. She moaned in pleasure and looked up at Clark. “This has to be the best double espresso I’ve ever tasted. You must be quite good with your hands.”

Amanda found herself glaring at her friend and trying to figure out the unpleasant feeling in her stomach. She looked to Clark and found him already looking at her. He looked uncomfortable and that somehow made Amanda feel better. He was not affected by Analisse’s charm. Which came as a surprise because Analisse was hot.

Her dark chocolate face was as smooth as a baby’s and she didn’t require make up to hide dark spots because she had none. Her cute buttoned nose with a nose ring to the side, and cupid bow lips had guys going wild for her at school. Her dark straightened hair was pulled in a high ponytail showing off her impressive neck.

How can Clark not see that?

How can he be looking at her like that when he had Analisse so close by?

“Actually Cube made that one,” Clark said, shifting on his feet. “I’m sure he’d like that comment.”

Did that mean he didn’t like the comment?
Analisse pouted and looked to Cube, her disappointment immediately disappearing.

Amanda knew Analisse’s act. She was testing the waters. Trying to find something. Amanda had no idea why.

“Well I suppose I have to go thank him myself,” she stood up, carrying her drink and walking away, not before giving Amanda a wink and a mischievous smile.

Amanda’s jaw dropped. She was playing wing woman. That bitch.

She looked to Clark and found him still looking at her.

“Your friend’s interesting,” Clark pointed out.

A truth that was universally known.

“Yeah,” Amanda said. “I’m sorry about her.”

Clark laughed. “It’s fine. I have Cube.”

Amanda smiled at that and looked down at her drink. “something new?”

He nodded. “Yeah. A flat white.”

Amanda looked confused. “what does that mean?”

He chuckled. “No idea, try it.”

“Aren’t you the one who is supposed to know these things?”

He gave a lopsided smile that was too damn sexy for her own good. “Yeah. But the taste is what matters more.”

“So you are completely clueless?” she said.

He laughed loud enough that a few customers looked at their table. Neither minded. She liked his laugh and he looked so carefree to mind doing it.

“Yes,” he answered.

She nodded and brought the drink to her lips. She closed her eyes and took a sip. She tried to ignore his eyes on her as she tasted the drink. When she opened her eyes, he was still looking at her but something else was in his eyes. It almost looked like desire.

“what do you think?” his voice sounded croaked. He cleared his throat and averted his eyes before looking back at her. The look was gone. For some reason she wanted it back to see what it was about.

“I like it,” Amanda murmured.

Clark smiled. “Yeah?”

She gave a nod and took another sip.

Clark’s smiled widened. “I finally got it.”

Just to tease him she shook her head. “I said I like it. I don’t love it.”

Clark groaned and Amanda laughed.

“You are impossible,” Clark commented.

Amanda continued to laugh.

Gosh, when was the last time she laughed like this? It felt like eternity.

“Hey, at least I like this one. Which means you are close,” she reassured.

He looked at her. “I swear if you love black coffee, I will never forgive you.”

That made her laugh even more. She knew she was getting more attention than she could ever want but she didn’t care. Clark’s eyes were on her and that was all that mattered.

☕☕☕

CheekySally