7. Latte

"A cup of latte in the morning, makes everything better."

☕☕☕

"He had his three months notice," Amanda could hear her father's voice from the study. "he should have packed up and left by now. He's a tenant, he doesn't own the place."

There was silence then her father's voice came back even louder. "I don't care if he already paid for the full month. Demolition is supposed to start in two weeks, I'd rather everything be settled by now. And if you have to refund the money, do it."

More silence as her father listened to whoever he was on the phone with. "Give him two weeks notice. That coffee house has to go."

That got her interest even more. Coffee house? Her father couldn't possibly be talking about the coffee shop? About Clark's business. Amanda shook her head. That couldn't be. Her father could not take away the only source of happiness she has had in a while. It must be some other place.

"Listen here, Jones, I gave you a job. You do the job. Like many of my buildings, I need to demolish and build something more worth my taste. That coffee shop it's a thorn in my perfectly made bed. Get rid of it. It's old, people like new things now."

Amanda gasped. He was talking about the coffee shop. The old decor is what brought in the charm. How could her father do that?

"You got it? Yes, bye."

Amanda waited until he cut the call before knocking on the study door. She probably should have given him time to cool off, but that would take a while and she might not get another opportunity. He was never home.

"Come in," his clipped voice came through the door. Amanda opened the door slowly and stepped in.

He was standing by the floor to ceiling windows that showed off the city. Amanda bet it made him feel on top of the world.

"Hey, dad?" Amanda greeted.

Her dad didn't even spare her a glance. She tried to ignore the pang in her heart.

"what is it?" he asked curtly.

Amanda was tongue tied for a few seconds as she tried to arrange her thought and ask the question. It seemed it look her longer than usual as her father turned to look at her.

"Yes, daughter?" he said.

The way he said daughter made her flinch. She was sure he noticed but decided to ignore it.

"I heard you talking about a coffee shop," she began but he cut her off as he walked to his desk.

"It's none of your concern. You go study and make sure you make it on the dean's list again," he said dismissively.

It was her own fault for expecting too much from him. He had never been the father she had dreamed about. Her parents divorced when she was five and her mom won full custody. Now she knew why, he never wanted to be a father, that much was clear. But it didn't stop her from hoping. She could remember awkward Sunday night dinners as she tried to get to know her dad but only got curt answers and a dismissive wave.

She had to move from the home she knew since she five to the big city when she was twelve after her mom passed. She had never felt so alone until that moment. Even the best teachers he paid for to teach her instead of sending her to school like her mom and nannies couldn't take the loneliness away. She was glad she got to go to college and be an actual teenager for a little while. Even though technically she wasn't a teen anymore.

But still, the loneliness never went away.

"Is it the one a few blocks down? The coffee shop?" she asked.

He looked up at her and let out a sigh.

"Amanda, I have a lot on my plate. I don't have time for this," he said.

What he meant to say was that he didn't have time for her. He never did.

Amanda swallowed. "Just answer the question and I will leave you alone."

"Yes, it's the one downtown," he said and she nodded.

As promised she walked out of the study. She decided to visit her favorite coffee shop that might be demolished soon. Now she understood why Clark had said she wouldn't be the one running him out of business. Her father was. Who was connected to her. And she felt guilty even if she wasn't directly involved.

She took her phone and purse from her room and left the suffocating apartment. She walked to the coffee shop and checked her time. It was Thursday afternoon and she made it just as the lunch rush passed.

Clark's smile brightened when he saw her walking through the doors. She didn't know how he could smile like that when he was going to lose this place in two weeks.

"Hey," Clark said when she reached the counter.

"Hey," she greeted, she knew how sad her voice sounded and he noticed it too.

"Everything okay?"

Why did she feel like crying? Was it the brush off her father gave her? Or was it the thought of Clark losing the place he loved?

And she knew he loved this place. By the way he always smiled to his customers, chatted with them when he could and looked around it when he thought no one was looking. Now she understood the wistful look when he did. He was trying to memorize every inch of it before it was taken away from him.

She was itching to pull him in a hug. Lord knew, they both needed one. "Yeah."

Hush, there was a frog in her throat.

"You don't look okay," Clark said and she watched as he moved from the counter and took her hand. There was another guy who wasn't Cube who took charge. Clark led her to the back of the shop where there was a break room. There was a green sofa pushed to a wall, a coffee table, and some lockers.

Clark walked her to the couch and got her to sit down. He settled next to her leaving a distance between them. As much as Amanda liked that he was trying to act like a gentleman, she wanted him close. And she was way in her feelings to think of the consequences as she scooted closer to him. He didn't look like he minded.

"what's wrong?" Clark asked.

Amanda sniffed. She hadn't realized she had started crying. She wiped at her eyes with the sleeves of her sweater. "I'm sorry."

Clark reached out to touch her but seemed to freeze when he was about to touch her cheek. Amanda couldn't help but move her cheek in his hand. She wanted him to touch her. She needed the comfort.

"You don't have to apologize for anything," Clark reassured. "what's wrong?"

Amanda didn't know if she could tell him. It would surely break him when he found out it was her father who was taking his shop away from him.

"I just found out some terrible news today," Amanda decided to be vague.

Clark wiped a tear from her cheek. "I'm sorry."

She was glad he didn't push to get more from her. "I'm okay now. Do you m-mind holding me for a few seconds?"

Clark only hesitated for a second before pulling her into his arms. She blissfully melted in them.

"You know what will make that news old news?" he asked after a while.

"what?" she asked.

"Something new."

She found herself grinning against his chest.

☕☕☕

CheekySally21