9. Red Eye

☕☕☕

Amanda knew she needed to do something. She couldn’t stand the thought of Clark losing the shop. She knew he had less than two weeks to get his affairs in order before the demolishing team came by and destroyed that beautiful building.

She needed energy to face her father and demand that he not destroy it. But she needed good reasons for him not to. The tiny detail that she might be falling in love with the owner should not be brought up. Her father could use that against her and say that she was acting based on her emotions and not like a businesswoman. If a business woman was what she had to be to save the coffee shop, then a business woman was what she would be.

Her father wasn’t going to be back for another three hours, she could pop by the coffee shop and get the energy she needed then come back ready to face her father. That seemed like a solid plan.

When she got to the coffee shop, she found only Clark. He near the dishwasher drying of some mugs. He looked up when the bell chimed. The smile that he sent her way got her stomach doing somersaults.

“Hey,” he greeted.

She returned the smile as she walked to the counter. “Hey. Closed early?”

He nodded. “I needed to clean up a bit and do inventory.”

Amanda noticed the cardboard box and the bubble wrap. “Packing?”

“Yeah, just shipping off some old items,” he said. Amanda frowned. She knew he was lying to her, but she also knew it wasn’t her place to know. For all she knew, she was just a customer.

“Can I help?” she asked expectantly.

Clark kissed his teeth as if he was pondering over the question. Then he grinned. “Okay.”

She rolled her eyes and moved to the patch that would take her behind the counter. She got a different vibe when she got there.

“I feel a little powerful being here.”

Clark smiled, more genuinely than the smile he’s been giving off lately. “Yeah?”

Amanda smiled, nodding. “Yep. I can see myself demanding people that they should change their order because it doesn’t suit them. Or read their palms like Cube and tell them they’ve been drinking the wrong beverage their whole life.”

Clark laughed and her stomach flattered. She did that. She never wanted to see him stop laughing and having that much joy in his eyes.

“I can see that,” Clark said, wrapping the cup he was finished drying in bubble wrap and putting it in the box. Amanda noticed that there were more of them behind the counter. She had a feeling he wasn’t going to be here when she came back.

“You think I can make it as a palm reading barista?” Amanda asked, trying to distract herself from asking the question she really wanted to know.

Clark turned to look at her and moved closer to her. “You could be anything you ever want to be, Amy. Don’t ever let anyone step in the way of your dreams.”

She had a new dream and that was to save his dream. And like he said, she wasn’t going to let anyone step in the way of that.

She nodded. “Okay, I can totally see myself as a palm reading barista.”

He chuckled. “Cube wont take that literally.”

She shrugged. “His palm reads are always wrong. Just the other day, he told this diabetic man that he needed more sugar in his coffee. I’m surprised he didn’t get smacked for that.”

Clark laughed even louder this time. “I never knew we’d get here, Amy.”

Amanda frowned at the off topic. “what do you mean?”

“Standing in this position,” he said getting a little closer to her. “You looked so lost the first time you found your way in my coffee shop.”

She could remember that moment. She nodded. “That was something. I’m shocked you didn’t kick me out for just standing there and not saying a word.”

He touched one of her braids. “I just knew you were something special. And if time was all it took to get us here, then I’m glad I didn’t kick you to the curb.”

She smiled. “Thank you for that.”

He looked to her lips then to her eyes. “I want to do something and I’m hoping I don’t get kicked to the curb for it.”

“Something new?” she asked.

“It’s been in my mind for a while, but it would definitely be something new.”

She nodded, her smile widening as she stared at his lips. “You know I am always up for something new.”

Who knew she’d ever be able to say that.

“It’s more different than the rest,” he warned. “and it requires a lot of close contact.”

“I can get with that,” she agreed.

“Okay,” he said, other hand reaching for her cheek. “It’s a different taste.”

“My taste buds are itching to try it,” she murmured.

Clark nodded, and moved slowly. She could tell he was giving her time to change her mind. But there was no way that she was doing that. She has been waiting for this since the moment he smiled at her when she walked into this shop.

Finally, Clark’s lips connected with her and it was magic. Why did she waste so much time tasting different types of coffee when she could have been tasting him? This was her favorite taste. This, she loved. His lips were the best thing she has ever tasted. Very addictive and soft.

She had to do everything she could to make him stay. Her father cannot take away anymore of her happiness. She will fight for this. The coffee shop. And whatever was building between her and Clark.

When Clark pulled away from her lips, she whined which made him laugh.

“want something else new?” he asked.

“No, I want this old thing,” she motioned to his lips. “I think it’s my favorite taste.”

“since it’s your favorite,” he kissed her again. Definitely her favorite.

☕☕☕