Home Sick

Ava didn't know what time it was. Nor did she really care. She had been awake, staring into the darkness for hours. When all her suns were spent in bed, drifting in and out of sleep, it was hard to keep track of time. And hard to adhere to a normal schedule. She could make out dull shapes of her furniture and even though it was dark she could still feel the enormous presence of the room she was in. She knew she should have gotten up and maybe walked around the room but she had no energy or desire.

All willpower had been drained from her. She turned around in bed, laying on her side and hugging a pillow close to her.

"I heard your mum down the hall," she heard someone speak after her door had opened, "You best get up, Lady Vaith."

Ava sighed and sat up, looking over at the open door letting in a small amount of light. She nodded in that direction, letting Arnelo know she had heard him.

He was technically supposed to make sure that she was going to sleep on time and waking up right after sunrise but he never did. She didn't know why but he was nice to her. He had been looking out for her ever since they were on the journey back to Aubermasse together. He had saved them, in a way, but not in the way that Ava needed.

Ava was standing a few feet from the door with a large splinter of wood grasped in her hand. She shifted from foot to foot, ready to take whoever came through the door. It cracked open and she lunged forward. Soon, she was pressed against the wall and the wood was wrestled from her hand.

"Lady Vaith!" Arnelo cried, "Please, calm down! I need to speak with you."

Ava caught her breath and shook her head, "Sorry. I thought it was someone else."

"Even if it was. It's not safe to go and attack these men. They want to see you dead," Arnelo said and walked back to the door and closed it.

"What have you heard?" Ava asked.

"They're talking about selling you out to your dad as a traitor. They heard what you said to the lady pirate, heard you yelling at her to let you stay. They're going to say it was your fault that your brother is dead and that you are a renouncer," Arnelo recounted with a frown.

"Why?"

"I think they believe it will gain them an upper hand with your dad. I don't know if that will even give them any purchase with him but they are trying to seem like the heroes," Arnelo looked worried, "But, some of us are bound to be thrown in a pit with you. The blame for your brother's death will be put on those that were meant to protect him... Which includes me. So, we are both in danger."

Ava crossed her arms, shaking her head. She knew they hated her, they had treated her like horse shit the whole cycle she had been aboard the ship. The only one that brought the meals or made sure she was even alive and well was Arnelo, for whatever reason. She had attempted to court him, to convince him to help her escape the ship but he was dutybound or some bullshit.

"Then let's leave," Ava tried again, "Secure the rowboat and in the middle of the night we run."

"It can't work like that... I need to bring you back home safely," Arnelo repeated the same line.

"I don't want to go back home safely! Please, I will find a way to get you money. Or anything you want. Don't let me go back," she pleaded and walked toward him.

He stepped back, "Lady Vaith, I have an oath I have to fulfill. I promise it will be alright. I will think of something..."

He had thought of something. Half a cycle later they found themselves thirty miles off the shore of Aubermasse on a rowboat, going towards land while the ship burned behind them. Arnelo had killed the watchmen and set the ship on fire.