The Path Forward Taken

The night had passed more quickly than she had anticipated and she was eternally grateful for that. It might have been the wine she kept drinking or the constant bustle of socializing but the night was over and she was in her room getting helped out of her dress by Oceane. Arnelo was also in the room, eyes averted out of respect for her undressed state.

"We should be set to leave in two hours," Arnelo updated her, "all your bags and trunks are loaded. Your room has been prepared. Is there anything I can do for you before I head to the ship?"

"Why are you going there so early? Didn't you say we don't leave for two hours?"

Arnelo looked around to make sure that her mother and Viv talking at the entrance to her room couldn't hear what he needed to say.

"I am going to make sure there is nothing in your room that would allow you to be seen or heard from outside the room," Arnelo whispered.

"Thank you," Ava nodded, "you are free to go, I don't need anything else."

Arnelo left and Ava turned to look at Oceane that was looking out of the window. She had been quiet since returning to her room, her duties as a chambermaid were done in silence as she helped Ava get undressed and redressed. Ava hadn't checked in all night.

"O," Ava walked over and put a hand on her back, "everything alright?"

"Sorry. This sun has been a bit overwhelming," Oceane gave her a weak smile.

"I am sorry you had to be there and tend to all those drunk people," Ava touched the side of her head to Oceane's, looking out of the window with her, "we are doing it tonight. We are finally leaving the estate."

"I've tried to avoid excitement until we set sail but I fear it's creeping up anyway," Oceane put her arm around Ava's waist as they gazed at the dark gardens, "Did you say bye to Mallory?"

"I did. Before I came back to the room, I walked her back to hers. She cried and threatened to sneak on the ship," Ava chuckled.

"I have to say bye to her. I was so caught up in everything I haven't had a chance," Oceane pulled away, "Is that alright? I will meet you on the ship."

"Go on, she would never forgive you for leaving without seeing her. Spend the next few hours with her, I'll get enough of your company on the trip," Ava encouraged.

"You will be sick of me," Oceane's mood began to lighten as she was retiring from the room.

Ava doubted it would be true. She had spent endless mornings and nights with Oceane before, being her roommate in both the lower decks and a cabin.

As Oceane began to walk out, her father walked into the room. They rarely crossed paths and she watched as Oceane faltered a bit as she left, looking over her father as he walked past her. He paid Oceane no mind.

"I wanted to see you off at the docks but the Lord's Guard will not let me and I have a meeting with some of the nobles that attended the ceremony. I am afraid this is when I have to say goodbye."

Ava shrugged, "Makes no difference to me."

"I want you to know that I care about you," he reached out and tapped a hand that was crossed in front of her.

"Thank you," Ava said and kept in a laugh at the awkward display of affection.

"You have been a good asset to this family and played the game for all our sakes. Thank you, Avery. You deserve this bit of time to enjoy yourself, away from so many prying eyes," he complimented her and it would have meant a lot if she cared about his opinion, but she was thankful that abiding by the rules reaped a reward.