Huntress ('POV)

• Dedicated to Mary Ann Sy

PHOTO OF HUNTRESS ON THE SIDE >>>>

HUNTRESS

I was looking out of the car window; staring at the building we passed by. I reached for my necklace and held onto the pendant tight in my hand. Turning in the passenger seat, my head guard, Dean, glanced at me.

"We're almost there mistress," he said. "Everyone is waiting for you."

"I know." I said.

"Then what's wrong?" he asked.

This took me of guard. I wasn't feeling anything wrong. That was out of the question anyway, I thought to myself. I'll be seeing my brother and sister;, that should make me happy. I frowned, that's it right there, I thought answering my own question. I should be happy;  a normal kid would be happy.

I forced a smile, "Thank you Dean." He smiled back and gave me a small nod before he faced the front again. I looked out and saw a black car ahead of us and I was aware of the black car following as well- a convoy for my safekeeping.

I looked out the window again. I didn't know what I would do without Dean. He has been with my family ever since I can remember. He was more of a friend than a guard really, especially since I came back. Since I came home from...  I frowned at the thought of the years I have been away. Dean, alongside my grandfather, had welcomed me home. He knows what I want to hear and when I want to hear it. He knows things that not even my brother understands.

"We're here mistress," he announced as we stopped in front of the academy where my siblings have been kept safe all these years. I stared at the familiar faces outside the car. I know I'm excited, I just can't feel it. However, seeing the look of my brother's relieved face made me smile. Dean walked to my door and opened it for me, and when I stepped out I heard my sister squeal.

"Huntress!" Iahejlle yelled elatedly as she ran to me and threw her arms around my waist. I conveniently caught her without losing my balance. To me, she was as light as a feather.

"Oh Huntress," she looks up at me with a big smile, "I missed you so much!"

I laughed seeing her, "So did I, Iahejlle," putting an arm around her shoulder and giving her a light hug back. "So did I."

"What about me?" I looked up and saw my brother. Iahejlle let go of me and I just stared at him. It has been years since I’d last seen him; a decade since we shared the same home. Today that will all change.

"Don't tell me you've forgotten all about me." I shook my head and ran up to him, just like Iahejlle did to me, and threw my arms around his neck and hugged him.

"Brother," I whispered. "I'm home, big brother."

"I'm glad you are," he whispered back hugging me tightly. "I missed you so much princess.”

 I hid my face in his neck and I knew I wasn't going to cry. It’s not that I wouldn't- I used to long to see my brother so much I was certain I missed him, but I never really know what it felt like to do so. As much as I want to cry tears of joy now, I just simply couldn’t.

Neither one of us loosened our hold of each other, until someone behind him cleared his throat, and I grinned knowing exactly who it was. Brother chuckled and let me go, as I walked up the culprit.

"Winter! Tathiannah!" I said looking at my cousins approvingly. "So you two are still together then?"

Tathiannah rolled her eyes, "Barely."