Chapter 29

Ivy

He should've known I would be moving. Not because of his betrayal, but because of my father. He knew the whole story before I did, why is he surprised?

"Since my dad was fucking killed for hanging out with your family," I cross my arms spitting the words out like venom.

River gulps and glances quickly at Remy who has both eyebrows raised. I feel bad for Remy, but not so bad that I'm going to play nice.

"I'm surprised you're actually speaking about that," River quirks an eyebrow and I understand his insinuation. He's referring to when I first found out and decided to maul him.

All I get from his little comment is one thing.

He knew that my mom was going to tell me.

"You just keep on revealing more and more layers of lies, River," I mockingly call him by his middle name before laughing humorlessly.

"If only I knew then that lying about your name was just the cherry on top." I laugh some more, but it's clear I'm not amused.

Remy is now inching away, heading towards Malia's room where the door is cracked open. If I look closely I'm pretty sure I can see Malia's wide green eyes eavesdropping.

"Jesus, if you're this pissed at me, I can't imagine you'll ever forgive Dean," River shakes his head with a grimace. "But I'm sure he'll get off easier since he's your brother and family is forever." His mocking tone irritates me more than I'd like to admit.

"What do you expect? Me to forgive you? You're not important enough to me; I refuse to waste the energy forgiving someone who's not even a part of my life." I regret the words when River sighs, but not enough to say I'm sorry or take them back. It was a shitty thing to say since he just told me that he did all of this to be a part of my life, I know that. But I've got too much pride.

Looking up at me once with eyes I can only describe as puppy dog, he walks away to his bedroom. I let out a breath once his door shuts as I lean a hip onto the couch and cover my face.

Turning slowly I glance at Malia's door to see a pair of green eyes and whiskey brown eyes peering through the door.

"I'm sorry you had to hear that. I'm not sorry you had to see it though," I mutter while pushing off the couch.

"Ivy," Malia sighs as she opens her door fully. "That was harsh."

"I don't want to hear that." I shake my head at her as she twiddles her fingers and stares at the floor. "I thought you were mad as hell at him."

"I am. What he did was awful and I don't know exactly what happened tonight apart from what you yelled at him for, but... I don't know," Malia shakes her head like it was a stupid thought.

"Do you think I was harsh?" I ask Remy who's as tense as a brick wall.

"I don't know the whole story, with your dad and all," Remy winces as he speaks. "All I do know is that you're not as absent in his life or mind as you may think."

Remy then gives both Malia and I a small smile before walking towards River's door and closing it behind him.

"I need to get out of this house," I feel my eyes water a little while speaking. I don't even know why. "I need to think."

Malia nods in agreement before curling an arm around my shoulders and pulling me into her room.

. . .

Rivers been in his room all morning. I know he's awake because he was drinking last night and he probably has a massive headache that he would usually take medicine to cure. He's staying in his room, dealing with that headache until I leave though. I know it.