Chapter 10

Malia

"You need to get that," I say as Ivy holds a hot little dress up to her.

"Ahhh, I don't know." She says shrugging and putting it back. I stare at her in confusion as she slouches her shoulders and crinkles her nose while looking at the dress back on its rack.

"Okay, how crazy have you gone since I've been away?" Mila asks as she comes out of the dressing room.

"You better buy that!" Ivy says looking at Mila in a short fiery red dress.

"I agree with crazy pants over here," I say leaning on the wall. Mila, of course, looks like she came right off of a magazine page. Red has always been my big sister's color.

"Fine, I'll get this if you try on that," Mila says pointing at the dress that Ivy just put down. Ivy rolls her eyes and looks down at herself.

"You guys are unfair." She says looking up and grabbing the dress and walking towards the changing rooms. Mila makes a yes or score motion and I giggle.

"Has she been acting slightly weird or have I been away for too long?" Mila asks me and I sigh.

"No, she's acting weird. I don't know if it has something to do with River--" I start but see Mila make a very nasty face at me.

"What?" I ask.

"Why does your brain go straight to River? Try and think of the weird things she's been doing and rid your brain of the whole River thing! I seriously doubt Ivy would let any guy she hasn't even dated affect her like this." Mila says making another good point.

"Well, first she thought she wasn't coming to this--" I say motioning to the mall around me, "On the car ride here she was being oddly quiet and now she's been looking at outfits that would totally look killer on her--"

"Facts," Mila says.

"And then looking at herself like it wouldn't." I end waiting for Mila to come up with a conclusion like she always does.

"I think we've got a little low self-esteem on our hands, Malia," Mila says before heading to change out of the dress.

Low self-esteem? Why the hell would Ivy Myles have low self-esteem? She is beyond drop-dead gorgeous and totally doable. Everyone who is attracted to girls can agree. She's been called out of this world beautiful. I guess everyone has their insecurities that they deal with, but Ivy really is really good-looking.

When I first met her I thought it was unfair how pretty she was. I vividly remember that at the age of eleven I thought, 'she's going to be a model' when I first saw her. She goes to all these upscale events with all these rich and beautiful people all the time. I never even thought for a second she might not feel like she... fits in there especially because of her looks. She can look good on the couch or in a ballroom, I know people who envy that. And it really pisses me off that she might think anything negative about herself while sitting in a room full of people who can't talk about anything other than their bank account.

"I don't think it's really... me?" Ivy says as she comes out of the dressing room like it's a question.

"Are you kidding me? What about a hot little black number with lace isn't Ivy?" I ask and she smiles slightly but then goes on to look down at herself like she's not good enough again.

"You have to buy that. If you don't, I'll buy it for you and leave it in your room before I leave." Mila says after she comes back out of the dressing room and takes a look at Ivy.

"You guys are just trying to hype me up." She says while walking back towards the changing room.

"We're just honest," Mila says while blocking the changing rooms.