Chapter 13

Ivy

"The girls all must have left. Mila texted me something about seeing Tori." I hear River say and I duck completely behind the counter. All I can do now is pray that he heads straight downstairs or to his room.

"They'll probably be back sooner rather than later since Tori's bedtime is nine-thirty. Don't bother coming." I hear his footsteps come closer and I hold my breath. They stop, I let out the breath.

"I'll probably be the first one there tomorrow. I don't want to be in this house longer than I have to."

My eyebrows furrow in confusion. I'm guessing whoever he's talking to is equally confused and asked why because River then explains.

"I love Mila and I want to spend as much time with her as possible, but it's not worth it. I have a few things to update you on." I can hear the person on the other phone laugh. Sounds male.

"Oh, Gray updated me alright," the guy on the phone says loudly between laughs.

"Of course he did, that fucker," River replies in an irritated tone.

"He said he was practically staring with his eyes and mouth wide open at the two of you. Have you talked to her yet?" Are they talking about me? If they are, Gray saw us?

"Yes, but I don't know why it's such a big deal. Do you know how many girls Gray has seen me kiss? And not once did he make a fuss about them."

I can hear River put his elbows down on the counter and I shut my eyes tight. Maybe if I concentrate hard enough, I'll vanish into thin air or fall through the floor straight into hell.

"You live with her; Gray thinks it'll be very ugly." So, it is me they're talking about. "But I think he's worried for other reasons."

"What other reason?" River asks

"I have a few ideas. Maybe he's worried that it'll cause problems between you and Malia. He might even be worried for you. That girl is sort of umm what's the word I'm looking for?" The guy questions. "Whatever, the point is he might be concerned for you because she seems like the type of girl that could chew you up and then spit you out." I hear River touch the small bag of chips I didn't finish and left when I ran back here.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Tate," he says before I hear the bag crackle again. He must be wondering why somebody would leave a half-eaten snack-size bag of chips out.

"Are you fucking kidding me?" He asks and I look up to see him towering over me with a royally pissed-off look on his face. 

Oh shit...

River

"Turn around!" She yells as if I'm the one in the wrong here.

I subtly take a good look because something tells me this is the most I'll ever see of her. After I have a mental screenshot in my brain I turn around. Without seeing her in that small little towel my mind clears and I remember precisely why I said 'what the fuck' instead of 'fuck yeah' when I saw her.

"What the hell are you doing?" I ask, but really what I want to know is what the hell did you hear.

"I didn't think you'd be back before twelve." She says and I can hear her shuffling around.

"I didn't leave to go to a bar or club," I say before taking a deep breath.

She thought I would be out until twelve because she thought I would be bringing a girl home. Why did I feel the need to correct her? She has every reason to believe that's what I do day in and day out. I mean that's what everybody else believes. So why is it that I don't want her thinking that?