Chapter 21: Preparation, part 2

Countdown to the finals.....

16:59:59

Zeru and May walked together to the dining hall, where the rest of the water clan's team had already started eating breakfast.

"Zeru, come over here. Please take a seat next to me."

When Zeru looked at May, he could tell she didn't agree with what the other girl said.

May grabbed Zeru's arm and pulled him away from the girl who was calling for him.

May sat across from the girl, and the two of them glared at each other until the maiden intervened.

"What do you want to eat?"

The girl was the first to order food, and then it was May's turn.

'I'd like black tea and toasted bread with avocado slices and cheese on top."

"And you, Zeru?"

"Today, all I want is a glass of water and some boiled eggs."

"All right, I'll be right back with your meals in a few minutes."

The maid returned to the kitchen to prepare the participants' breakfast, which she served a few minutes later.

May and the girl were both staring at each other the entire time they were eating.

"Are you two dating because you've been spending a lot of private time lately?"

May spilled her tea in surprise when the girl yelled it out loud, and everyone at the table turned to stare at her.

"What? We are.... w.... we are just friends."

"You say you're just friends, so why are you blushing?"

"No, I'm not. I simply drank my tea too quickly, and it was boiling."

"Whatever you say, May, I see what you're trying to do here, and I will not let you win."

Keep dreaming. You'll never be able to beat me at anything."

"Psh!"

May and the girl both averted their gazes and ate quietly alongside the other participants, before leaving the dining hall to prepare for the finals.

Zeru and May were walking along the coast together as the sun warmed their skin and a cool wind blew on their faces, making them both feel refreshed.

"Today may be the last time we walk along this stunning coastline."

Zeru raised his finger to the sky.

"We belong up there, and we'll live there for the rest of our lives."

"Sigh, I wish I had the same amount of courage as you."

"Don't worry about anything. I will come on top for both of us."

May averted her gaze from the waves crashing in and out of the dead sea, and she got some confidence when Zeru assured her she could rely on him.

"I wish he could be here with us right now."

May received no response from Zeru, who instead turned away from her and returned home, leaving her alone with only the sound of the waves crashing on Waena Island's shore.

***

Countdown to the finals.....

03:20:16

The participants met in the same room where they had their initial meeting on Waena Island.