Chapter 2

It was the end of the week when Papa called.

"Hindi mo naman na kailangan magtrabaho, Olivia," ani Papa. Marahan ang boses nito, pero naroon ang bakas ng matinding hindi pagsang-ayon.

"Alam ko naman po. Hindi rin naman po mabigat ang trabaho at saka wala akong ginagawa nitong bakasyon," tugon ko saka narinig ang buntong hiningang hindi na nag-abalang itago pa.

Tita Mel, his new wife, actually invited me over for summer. She said she'll be happy to have me with them. I politely said that I'll think about it, and she agreed nicely as she always has to me. You know what happened when I said, 'I'll think about it'. It's a straight up 'no'. It's not that I don't like her. I just don't feel comfortable with them... it's my father's new family, they're all nice to me, but I don't feel like I should be there.

"Ikaw naman ang masusunod d'yan. Huwag ka lang sana magpakapagod masyado't hindi mo naman kailangan kumayod," paalala pa nito.

I'm blessed that my parents were financially stable and really planned to have me. They prepared themselves for that role long before I was born. Unfortunately, it wasn't the same case for their marriage. I'd say, they wanted both to have a family and be a parent that they somehow overlooked the part of them being lifetime lovers. Despite that, they raised me just well and they were good partners in doing so.

Ilang saglit pa bago matapos ang usapan namin ni Papa. He asked if they could visit sometime. I said yes and asked to just tell me when. Just after we ended the call I proceeded to the counter to have my art materials paid. These really cost a lot kaya naman ay ingat na ingat akong wala ni isa rito ang mawawala.

I held the two bags packed with my stuff and went to the coffee shop beside it. It's past ten in the morning and I still haven't had my breakfast dahil wala na akong stock sa bahay kaya naman dito ako sa mall dumiretso kanina. Naggrocery ako kanina at iniwan muna ang mga pinamili sa baggage area tapos ay namili ng mga kakailanganin ngayong pasukan.

It was my turn to order and just when I was about to pay, I then realized I was short of cash and pulled out a card instead.

"Sorry, Ma'am, unavailable po ang payment through card namin today," ani nung babae sa akin na ikinataranta ko knowing the people lined up after me. I tried to search more in my wallet and just when I decided there's really none, a guy handed the cashier a five hundred bill.

"Paki-doble na lang nung order n'ya. Salamat," sabi nito at saka nagtama ang tingin namin. It's the photographer guy at the gallery.

We stepped aside after the lady gave him his change and waited for our order. We stood there, side by side. We exchanged glances that were so awkward I wished I was standing in a black hole. He said nothing, but gave me a small smile.

"Thank you," I said shyly.

"Hindi 'yun libre," paglilinaw n'ya na ikinabigla ko. Maybe he saw my initial reaction that he chuckled and made me feel like blood rushed through my cheeks because of embarrassment.

When Aristotle said that humans are social animals, he might have forgotten my type of human...

"Yeah, you really have to pay me back on that," he said, still chuckling softly which made me even more confused.

"Sorry. Your reactions are amusing," he said when I replied nothing.

I gave him a small smile because that's all I can do. Tinawag na rin ang order number namin at agad kaming lumapit doon. He asked me where I was seating and nicely put my food on my table. He was about to walk towards another table when I offered him a seat.

"I'll pay you back," I replied with finality. I saw him amused and just nodded along.

But then asked, "How?" nang maitanong ko sa sarili kung paano ko ito babayaran.

He chuckled and said, "Maybe a coffee and muffins would be nice to have again."

I smiled acknowledging what he said despite being confused. Is he asking me to have breakfast or does he mean I have to bring him a take-out? In the end, I went with the latter. That's safer to think of...

"Fine Arts?" tanong nito sa akin nang mamataan ang mga pinamili ko.

"Yeah," I replied shortly as I dug into my muffins.

Seconds passed and there was no response nor following question from him. I then look up only to find him looking at me almost just observing. I put my muffin down and sip on my coffee and return the question, "Ikaw?"

"Photography. Remember?" he said as he put his hands up as if he was taking a picture.

Oh. So, he does remember me too.

"Thanks for the picture," I said remembering the photo Jen handed me. He just smiled and waved his hands as if it's no big deal.

"You go to ECSB?" I asked, nang matamaan ko ang logo ng nasabing school sa polo nitong suot.

"I'm from ECSB too," I mumbled and didn't expect he'd hear that.

"I know," he replied as if it was that obvious that made me raise my eyebrows.

"Oh. I'm one of the photographers who took photos of the art exhibit last year," he immediately explained and gave me a smile.

"And... I don't think you remember me," he added, chuckling.

I know what he was talking about. I was one of the students who almost made our works displayed on the said event, but didn't and were asked to help to organize instead.

"I'm sorry. Maybe I was too preoccupied," I said and gave him an apologetic smile.

Bahagyang iwinagayway n'ya ang kamay n'ya na para bang wala lang 'yun at 'di malaking bagay.

"How come you remember me?" I asked, almost convinced that he's weird - a step away to being creepy.

"I'm sorry. Maybe I was too stunned," he replied, almost copying my line with his hands raised while his eyes shouts mischievousness.

"Crush lang kita kasi," he confessed, reaching for his nape smiling boyishly.

He looks shy, but the confidence to straightforwardly say that when we just met overthrew me. It wasn't the first time I received such a confession, and I know it sucks to do it to me because I never knew how to receive such a thing. I would either smile, nod, and walk away, or keep silent until that person would go.

I could feel myself blushing. I tried to clear my throat and sip on my coffee. It's awkward, but it feels like it's really a no big deal to him. Maybe I should take it that way too.

He then glanced at his watch and said, "Oh! I have to go."

"Can I have your number?" he asked nonchalantly as he grabbed his things that made me raise my eyebrows.

"Don't worry, for coffee and muffins purposes only," he followed up chuckling when he read my reaction.

Is my face really giving me away??

He handed me his phone and in that I typed my number and gave it to him, "Here."

"By the way, I'm Jacc," he said, then his phone rang.

"I really have to go. It was nice meeting you..." he trailed off, unsure.

"Oli," I immediately continued.

"Right. Oli." He then immediately rushes off and that was the most interesting thing that has happened to me that day.