Chapter 3: Atlas and the Predator

You had been walking for a few hours since you escaped that labratory and you were exhausted. It took all the strength you had just to keep walking, which was more of a limp than anything. Although you were able to pilot the Predator alone, you could only do so for a limited amount of time before it really took its toll on you. You had sweat pouring down your face and were breathing super heavily and that luminescent glow from your veins had almost completely disapeared. What made things worse, your Kaiju tracker was out of commission. Those scientists were pretty careless when they were destroying MIRA and busted the tracker, which meant you were limited to your own vision to find Kaiju. All of a sudden you saw something in the distance, it was the size of a Kaiju, but it didn't move like one. It was walking at a pretty normal pace and showed no signs of hostility toward you. When you got a closer look, you realised that it was another Jaeger. You were suprised, but also very relieved, you hadn't seen anything since you left Adelaide. You then got a transmission from the Jaeger.

???: Jaeger, this is Atlas Destroyer, do you copy?

You were about to respond when you were struck in the side. You stumbled back and indentified the threat. It was a Catagory III Kaiju known as Acidquill and it looked pretty angry at you. With the remainder of your energy, you tried to hit it with a downward strike, but you moved so slowly that it easily moved out of the way and lunged at you. It hit you right in the stomach area and you saw bits of metal fly off your Jaeger. You managed to fire off a few Apex Missiles but only a couple made contact, your aim was really off due to the fact that you felt like you were going to pass out. The Acidquill quickly recovered and went for another attack. You prepared for impact but just as the Kaiju was about to hit, a large chain came flying into its side, piercing its flesh. You glanced to the side to see Atlas Destroyer using some sort of chain harpoon from its right arm, holding the Kaiju down. With the last of your energy you took one final swing with your Photon Axe at the now pinned down Kaiju and cut its head clean off. You turned to Atlas, panting heavily, which sent you yet another transmission.

???: Are you okay?

Before you could even open your mouth to speak, you and your Jaeger fell to ground with a loud crash and you were out cold.

A few moments later.

???: Taylor, they're waking up.

You woke up to the bright sun shining in your face and young girl with bright blonde hair looking down on you. When you tried to sit up, you suddenly started coughing and noticed you felt terrible. It seems that solo drifting still had its drawbacks.

???: Try not to move too much, you were hurt pretty bad.

You then saw two people jogging toward you, a boy with brown hair slightly older than the girl which you assumed was Taylor, and a younger boy with sky blue hair.

Y/N: Are you the pilots of Atlas?

Taylor: Well not officially, but yeah, I'm Taylor and this is my sister Hayley.

You shook hands with Taylor and glanced over at the younger boy who was chasing an insect on the ground.

Y/N: And, who's the kid.

Taylor: Oh, that's Boy.

Y/N: Uh, Boy?

Hayley: That's just what we call him, we don't actually know his real name.

Boy had finally caught the insect and started to eat it. You grimaced and looked over at the two Jaegers, Predator lying flat on the ground and Atlas kneeling beside it.

Y/N: Are there any other Jaegers out here?

Taylor: Your the first we've seen. At least that was actually one piece.

As you looked more closely at Predator you saw that it was pretty damaged, with several sheets of metal missing from the abdominal area as well as the arms and legs. You then looked around you and finally noticed the condition of the environment, a desolate wasteland without any life for miles.

Y/N: What happened here?

Taylor and Hayley glanced at each other with confused expretions on their faces and looked back at you.

Hayley: You mean you don't know?

You gave them both confused looks as you had aboslutely no clue what they were talking about.

Taylor: Australia has been locked down for five years.

Your eyes widened at this news. Taylor and Hayley filled you in on all that had happened since those lunatic scientists put you to sleep. So much had happened since that Kaiju attack, the once beautiful continent had now become a dry wasteland, Kaiju ruled everything and Sydney had been the only place that had survived.

Hayley: So... you walked all the way here... alone?

Y/N: Yeah...

Taylor: Where did you even come from? What happened to you?

You couldn't tell them that you had been pumped full of Kaiju blood, and you couldn't think of how to explain that you had been asleep for five years so, you just sat there, processing everything you were just told. After an awkward silence, Hayley finally spoke.

Hayley: Taylor, he doesn't have to talk if he doesn't want to.

You looked up at the Predator and at its broken parts. You managed to get up and walk into the Predator's conn pod to get a good look now that you weren't being chased or beaten up by a Kaiju. Being there brought back painful memories, you could even still see the stains from where Sam had taken his last stand. You walked over to a small cabinet in the corner and opened it to find emergency weaponary consisting of an RPG with a few rockets and a couple of energy pistols. After you had suited up, Taylor and Hayley stepped into the conn pod.

Y/N: I don't think I can pilot the Predator alone again. Even if I could, he's pretty beaten up. I'll be fine on foot from here.

You started toward the exit when you stumbled to floor. Taylor managed to catch you, but your leg was hurting quite a bit.

Taylor: I hate to tell you this, but I don't think that's your best option right now.

Y/N: Then, what am I supposed to do.

You looked at Taylor and Hayley who glanced at each other before turning back to you.

Hayley: You can come with us, we were following a Jaeger distress signal to Clayton city. You can stay with us, at least until your better.

Y/N: ...Thank you.

Taylor and Hayley helped you into Atlas along with Boy who was chasing more insects. Once you entered, a computer A.I. began to speak.

???: Greetings Cadet Taylor, I see we've picked up another straggler.

Taylor: Yeah, he'll be staying with us until he feels better. LOA this is... actually, I don't think we ever got your name.

Y/N: Y/N.

LOA: It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance Cadet Y/N.

You sat down on one of the small benches that were found in the conn pod along with Boy while the two siblings suited up.

Hayley: Next stop, Clayton city.

You looked behind you as Atlas began walking toward Clayton, leaving behind your former Jaeger along with the memories connected with it, on to what you hope could be a better life.