Chapter 11: The Path to Sydney

Mei's Perspective

Mei, Taylor, Hayley, Brina and Boy had all made it back to Atlas. They couldn't take the Predator considering they only had three pilots so they had to leave it behind. Mei was still crying when Hayley and Taylor got in Atlas. Brina was severly injured and Boy was still unconcious from the tranfusion. They piloted the Jaeger as far from the Sister's headquarters as they could, no one said a word. They had been walking for a while, when Brina started coughing badly.

Taylor: Mom? Mom what's wrong?

They stopped the Jaeger and went to check on her. She wasn't responding and looked like she was in terrible condition.

LOA: I detect that she has sustained critical injuries. I am afraid she won't make it far.

Hayley: No, no! She can't! Not now! Not when we're so close.

Mei looked over and saw that they were crying.

LOA: ...If I may suggest. I could help create a vision. So that she could leave in peace.

There was silence in the room. It was a grim thing to think about, but Mei felt like it was something Brina would want.

Taylor: ...Okay.

Mei watches as Hayley enters the rig and Taylor puts a sleeping Brina into the conn pod as well. A few moments pass and Mei sees tears running down Brina's face. The beeping of her monitor continues to get fainter and fainter. She sees Taylor and Hayley, tears in their eyes.

Hayley: There's nothing more for you to worry about.

The beeps keep getting fainter and their sobs continue.

Taylor: We love you Mom.

The beeping then becomes a high pitch droning. She was gone.

LOA: All life signs are gone. The injuries were simply too severe. Thanks to you both however, she has finished well.

Taylor: Thank you LOA, for giving our mother such a beautiful gift.

LOA: It was my honor.

Mei watches as Hayley, sobbing, runs out of the Jaeger to roof. Mei, understanding how she must have been feeling, goes out to join her. She just sits next to Hayley, without saying anything. She had heard enough inspirational talk, all Hayley wanted now was peace and quiet.

Hayley: Thank you.

Mei: For?

Hayley: Not saying anything, just sitting with me.

Mei: Well sitting sullenly is what I do best.

Hayley looks over at Mei, noticing the tears in her eyes.

Hayley: I'm sorry about Y/N.

Mei: ...Y/N was different, they were special. I, don't know what it was. They made me feel different. Happy.

Hayley: You love him, don't you.

Mei blushes.

Mei: Yeah... yeah I guess I do.

Hayley: ...It's nice. Having a sister.

They both smile at each other and enjoy the sky for a while.

Later...

They had been walking to Sydney for a long time. Mei and Taylor were piloting the Jaeger while Hayley watched Boy. Not much had been said, until Boy suddenly jolted up. He was holding his head, like he was fighting something.

Hayley: Boy? Boy it's okay it's me.

Boy had fallen off of the bench and was panting heavily.

Taylor: We didn't save him in time.