Prologue: Positive

Slowly, as the color drained from my face, tiny beads of sweat pooled on my pale skin. Along my hairline, down the sides of my face and along my thin, trembling arms. Trembling due to what lie before my eyes. In those same eyes, tears began to pool from the ducts at the inner corners, whether from pure happiness or sheer terror, I couldn't quite comprehend. The sudden flood of emotions that rushed forward, starting from my racing heart, flowing through my tears and to the tips of my fingers were uncontrollable. Those tears now streamed down my face, the trembles that began in my shoulders now spreading through my arms, to my hands and now through my thighs, knees and calves, almost like an unmanageable virus flooding through a city. And quite honestly, there might be no cure for this virus. None that I could foresee. All the while, the entirety of my airway seemed to close up, becoming unimaginably dry. 

   What had been a mere five minutes honestly felt like an eternity. My denim shorts had long been pulled up, zipped and buttoned. In a feeble effort to calm the uncontrollable shaking of my hands and legs, I pressed my fists and knees together, hoping the forced skin to skin contact would relieve some of the quaking. However, it was to no avail. I'm not even sure why I bothered. 

   I was in this same predicament five years ago; locked in a claustrophobic restroom, pants around my ankles for a measly three minutes in an attempt to await news that I honestly, already knew. 

   The only difference was that nearly five years ago, around the same time of the year, I was supported by several more people. My beloved family members that supported me through the harshest events, and continuing that support through my aftercare. However, this second time around, this situation was tossed into my lap by my own actions. 

   In my current circumstances, only one other individual sat waiting behind the other side of the locked, wooden door. Her normally gleeful manner had been temporarily replaced with extreme anxiety to the point of silence. My immediate thought was she would want to know right in that moment when the three minute wait was complete, what that result was. Perhaps she thought to give me some time to process what my eyes were still glued too. 

   Fifteen minutes had passed since the presentation of the results. Slowly but surely, my shudders ceased but the patchiness throughout my throat and persistent tears continued. I guess because of how much time had passed without my saying anything, Toga gently, or rather hesitantly, knocked on the wooden door of the single stall bathroom. 

   "H-Hey...? C'mon, what's it say? This is killing me!" She pleaded, making sure to be quiet enough as to not alert her fellow companions in the next room. Without uttering a single word, I reached forward from where I sat on the closed toilet seat, twisting the lock to unsecure the door. Once she heard the click in the doorknob, Toga turned the handle and entered the restroom. The moment she was inside, she closed the door quickly behind her, twisting the lock once more. 

   "Well? You took it, right?" Toga asked quietly, the normal cheeriness of her voice fading. I nodded only once, avoiding her gaze as if she were my mother that would completely disapprove of the situation. Due to not receiving any sort of verbal response, she tilted her head slightly and took one step forward. Before pressing her foot onto the tiles, however, she was met with the feeling of something lying on the floor underneath her shoe. Bringing her gaze from me towards the object, she knelt down and grasped the white stick in both hands. I continued to avoid her gaze as I saw her golden eyes widen out of my peripheral. 

   Leaning back and sitting on the floor crisscrossed, she slowly lowered the stick back onto the ground as if it were a bomb that were to explode at any second. After two minutes of pure silence, Toga pointed at the stick, stuttering, "What? Huh, what...? What, what...?" In response, I nodded, finally speaking after what felt like an eons. 

   "Yeah... Do that for another fifteen minutes and you might be where I am right about now." I uttered, looking down at my hands, still avoiding her gaze. The light that normally gleamed in her golden eyes dimmed slightly as she reached for my hands that had long since stilled. Despite the reassuring contact, I still avoided her gaze. 

   "Hey... I know we're just a bunch of misfits, but you know we're here for you." She attempted to reassure me. I managed to look at her from where I had been staring a hole into the tiled bathroom floor. Even if Toga made an effort to somehow support me, this was still the second hardest situation I had ever been faced with. The first had been five years ago, the same exact situation mirroring my current circumstances. However, even if I have just as much support as I did then, who could tell me if the one person I needed to stick by me the most would even make the slightest effort? Toga and I both knew how he could be, and when thinking of his past actions in any sort of situation that even involved people, he might not handle this news all too well. 

   I assumed Toga could tell that I was definitely overthinking this entire situation. It was what I was best at. Squeezing one of my hands lightly, she brought me out of my haze. "Would you want me there when you tell him?" Toga asked, a gentle tone remaining in her normally perky voice. 

   I looked at her for a moment, taking in her features before looking back down towards the test stick that remained on the tiles. "No... I think it's best he doesn't know that you knew before he did." I responded, taking the test stick in my one hand, allowing her to hold onto my other. God, my life was already a mess, I thought to myself as I stared down at the positive symbol on the tiny, digital screen. 

   But what did I just get myself into?