Chapter Six: The Upside Down

With the furious thumping of his heart becoming so prominent, I became hyper aware of the zipper enclosing my dress around my figure. With that, his racing heart rhythm had become contagious. My own pulse had begun to quicken once more, mimicking what I could only assume was anxiety of having my frame on his lap, facing away from him. With the reappearance of my anxious, labored breathing came my fingernails nervously digging themselves into the skin of my shaven thigh. His keen turquoise gaze must've taken notice, as his right hand enclosed itself over my own to alleviate my nervous tick. The somewhat compassionate gesture stung, however. Relaxing my back against his broad chest, I allowed his long fingers to weave themselves in between my own. Despite his quirk not currently being active, his resting body temperature caused my own hand to begin to perspire. 

"First you hand me a somewhat veiled threat, now you're here quelling my anxiety?" My voice managed to utter just above a whisper, the words being for his ears only. No verbal response was given at first. My dark eyes watched intently as his thumb stroked the outermost side of my hand. A soft scoff escaped my throat. "You're a puzzle, you know that?" I added. Over my left shoulder, his chin rested and caused my head to lean gently to the right, subconsciously gifting him room to rest his head. All the while, his thumb continued stroking the outside and underside of my right hand. Due to the excessive volume of the club's speakers just underneath us, the excited rhythms and drumming of The Spencer Davis Groups' Gimme Some Lovin' could be heard, and felt. Completely bypassing my inquiry, Dabi whispered directly beside my ear, "Why can't you just 'give me some lovin'?" No cell within my body could manage to withhold the eye roll that ensued. "Perhaps I would if you didn't ignore my questions," A slow exhale reverberated through his nostrils, causing some strands of my dark hair to brush against one another. 

"Takes a puzzle to know a puzzle, sweets." Another roll escaped from my eyes, mainly towards the nickname and the enigmatic answer. "I wish you'd drop the new nickname already." I muttered, mostly towards myself. But deep down, I was accepting of the fact that he'd definitely heard my wish. Squeezing my hand lightly, I felt his heard turn, his lips becoming eerily close to my ear. "I'd say your wish is my command, sweets, but the name just fits." Even with the mild arrogance leaking through the softly spoken words, this man was causing such intense belly flops that I hadn't felt in years. The same vermillion hue graced my cheeks once more as his lips reconnected with the lobe of my ear. The contact caused my right hand to tighten around the fingers of his own, effectively trapping them in my grip. A deep chuckle rumbled through his chest, rippling across my back and causing a chill to tingle down my spine. "Besides, I bet the name fits in more ways than one," His follow up statement prompted my blush to amplify, and my head to turn in a feeble attempt to avoid his piercing gaze. Upon witnessing my utterly transparent reaction, another sinister chuckle rippled through his chest and glided towards my ear. "Thought so." Those were the only other words that left his lips that night. 

Throughout the next two hours, what seemed like countless patrons began their departures from the night spot underneath us. As the innumerable amount of intoxicated college students, business people, and other bar hoppers and thrill seekers began evacuating, Dabi and I remained nestled in our little hideout above. More sweet nothings from his lips graced my ears, all the while his hands continued their exploration along my own. After a little while, they had become more brave, venturing up and down my arms, across my shoulders and upper back, to which occasional sharp gasps fled my lips. After a moment of hesitation, Dabi's hands abandoned my upper back, merely focusing on my arms, shoulders and hands. Never for a moment, did he dare to explore below my waistline. Despite the fact he seemed like someone to test those boundaries, he recalled our first meeting. Dabi knew not to cross those lines without my permission.