Chapter Three: Familiarity

Something that had seemed like such an obstacle in my life at that time just a few years ago was now one of my biggest blessings to this day. Ripping my eyes away from my clothed figure in the mirror, I turned my gaze towards a photo strip from a photo booth session that Clara and I had taken just a month before. Leaning forward, I took the strip in my hands from where I had squeezed into in between the mirror and the frame encasing it. A small smile hung at the corners of my lips as I examined each and every photo. The first was just me and my little girl smiling the widest smiles ever, the second was me giving her a massive kiss on her little rosy cheek. The third was her and I making the goofiest faces imaginable and the fourth was us sharing the biggest hug I possibly ever gave her. A tiny tear threatened to begin its trip down my cheek. However, I quickly brushed it away before it had the chance to escape, putting the strip back into it's home in my mirror's frame. 

   I shook the traumatizing trip down memory lane out of my mind as I grabbed several articles of makeup and tossed them into my tote bag, followed by my preferred black heels that coordinated with the dress. Because it was a nice day outside and it did not seem like the weather would be unreasonable today, I simply brushed through my hair once more, pulling it through a scrunchie before beginning my commute to Lush. 

   After the twenty minute stroll, I approached the closed nightclub, pulling my keys from my purse. Sliding the correct key into the lock, I twisted the knob with my opposite hand and pushed the door open. A rush of cool air from within embraced me, a stark contrast to the heat outside. Entering the hallway that led into the club, I pushed the door closed behind me before locking it back up. There was still several hours before opening, leaving plenty of time to prepare for the shift ahead.

   The moment I locked the door, I kicked my flats off and shuffled around my tote bag for my heels. "Ya know, you don't need to have those on yet." My attention was brought upward, looking at the male carbon copy of myself. 

   "I know that, Hunter. They just go better with the dress is all." I replied, hooking the black heels onto my small feet and stowing away my flats. A small smile appeared across my twin's lips as he crossed his arms, biceps threatening to break through the fabric of his black button down shirt. As he leaned against the wood of the hallway's doorframe, his eyes, matching my own, glimmered with mischief. 

   As I walked through the hallway and approached him, I noticed his smile still hadn't wavered. "What's the dumb smirk for?" I questioned, raising an eyebrow in his direction. I continued walking into the main area of the club, with my taller, more annoying twin closely following. 

   "Oh, nothing. Just wondering how many more guys and girls are going to offer you their phone numbers tonight." Hunter explained through his irritating smirk, still following me up to the bar where I sat my bag down. Not even bothering to meet his gaze, I replied, "Oh hardy, fucking har." 

   An almost venomous chuckle escaped my brother's lips. "I'm messing with you, sis. It's refreshing seeing them fall over you, and you turning them down with a smile." Hunter hopped up on one of the barstools, pushing a Scotch glass back and forth between his hands. Another hand gripped the glass, stopping it dead between his hands. 

   "Stop messing with her, we need everyone in a decent mood tonight." A third, somewhat more soothing tone cut the tension between Hunter and myself. Chase gripped the glass and tossed it between his hands. As he rounded the counter to begin cleaning, Hunter glared at our fraternal twin.