Chapter One: A New Day

Every day seemed to begin the same anymore, since about two years ago. The sun would begin its blinding assault through the blinds that were feebly attempting to keep the bright rays at bay through the window. Almost every morning, those blinding rays would assault my eyes through their closed lids, forcing me through a wake up call earlier then I would want. And almost every morning, I'd be awake before her. 

   Today was no different. Wincing as the sun began its daily attack on my eyes, I swung my arm around in a weak effort to protect them. A slight huff escaped from my lips. I almost forgot what today was meant to entail. Sadly, I remembered. 

   There was no use in attempting to stay in bed and waste the day away. Someone else needed to be woken up. Keeping my eyes squeezed together, I stretched both of my thin, pale arms over my head. What seemed like endless strands of my long, dark hair lay scattered on my pillows, framing my pale, heart shaped face. Allowing a yawn to escape my throat, I forced myself to sit up from where I was lying in bed. Last night had been one of the first nights in years that I had gotten a decent, full night's sleep. And in several moments, I was about to wake the reason I was unable to achieve that until a few nights ago. 

   Swinging my legs over the side of my queen sized bed, I stood and snatched a black scrunchie from my night stand. Pulling my hair through the scrunchie three times, I pulled my bedroom door open and only walked a few inches to the left. Grabbing hold of a gold handle to a pink painted door, I twisted and pushed the door agape. 

   Stationed at the center of the wide bedroom was a black, metal bed frame, the mattress being almost as big as my own. Two large pillows cradled a small head full of ashy blonde hair belonging to a little, almost five year old sweetheart. Turned over on her side, both her hands were folded underneath the left side of her face, her dull, green eyes protected behind her closed lids. 

   A small smile eased onto my lips as I sat on the pink and navy blue bedspread that kept her warm throughout the night. The bed set had been one of the many early birthday gifts that her uncles, otherwise known as my four older brothers, had bestowed on her. Along with the bedspread that had been washed and was now on her mattress and her, they had gifted her a handmade wooden dollhouse, more pillows to assure her comfortability throughout the night, her very own desk and chair set at the far side of the room and several other items of great value and that she would surely utilize for years to come. 

   Despite the fact I had been sat at her side for several minutes now, she hadn't stirred from her deep slumber as of yet. The small smile lingered on my lips as I reached forward and tucked a curled strand of her hair behind her tiny ear. The action caused her to inhale deeply, followed by a wide yawn and a stretch of the arms. Heh, I thought to myself. Like mother, like daughter

   Once a gigantic yawn had passed, the dull, green eyes that had been closed just moments before had finally decided to open, releasing her from her sweet dream realm. My smile widened as those eyes met my own, causing a wide smile of her own to break through the fog of sleepiness she had been met with. 

   "Good morning, sleepy head." I greeted my only daughter, with her waving softly, the smile still lingering on her lips. The smile revealed a huge gap in the top row of pearly whites, as she had just lost her two front teeth. Despite the fact that my Clara was now almost five years old, it always seemed as though she rarely, if ever, wanted to use her voice to communicate. When we noticed the strange phenomenon, it urged us to bring it up to her pediatrician.