Ring Around The Rosie

Requested by @Raythegray15 but I did put a lil me flare into it.

Cursive represents memories.

___

Dating someone like Maki Zenin is exhilirating to the core. She was everything I've ever dreamt of. Loving, but not overbearing. Caring, but still respected my boundaries. But everything good has to come with a price, right?

I knew she was involved with some pretty bad people and I knew where her mistakes lead to most of the time.

Death.

The blood trail following her could be wrapped around the whole earth, but the sheer fact that she'll do anything in her power that I never come into contact with that side of her just makes me realise how much she cares and suddenly I find myself feelin lucky for having someone like her.

I knew that her lifestyle was dangerous, but she managed to show me true love despite the things she's been put through and I think that it takes a specific type of character, so brave, to show themselves vulnerable despite of the hurt and to love someone while still picking the pieces of their broken heart off the blood stained floor.

I knew I would get burned eventually, but I also knew she was more than worth the pain that was inevitable to come.

I just never thought that this wretched day would stretch out into weeks.

Things were great. We were stronger than ever, she was spending less and less time doing atrocities and I had this stupid sliver of hope that she was really quitting, but I was wrong. She slipped through my fingers like sand and before I knew it, no trace was left of her.

I traced the spot on my finger where a ring used to be. Tears blurred my vision, while I reminisce the past.

"Maki wait! Before you go..." I trailed off before she could make her exit.

"Yes, darling?" She turned around and smiled a brilliant smile at me.

"Have this, so I know you'll come back." I smirked at her before taking my ruby encrusted spider ring off.

I reached behind her neck and opened her necklace before putting the ring through it. I smiled before sliding my hands from her neck to her chest, then up to her shoulders.

"And where else would I go?" She asked, before circling her arms around my waist and kissing me.

And with that she left, she left and took everything with her.

I sighed before wiping my tears away and racking my brain for the possible places where she could be, praying that she was safe, but also selfishly pondering the question: Why would she leave me if she was safe? Which brought another wave of anxiety.

"Shit" I sighed quietly and stood from the spot on my bathroom floor.

I looked at myself in the mirror and saw the mental exhaustion painted on my pale face. The deep circles around my eyes, once light brown eyes clouded with grey smoke of grief. I was starting to lose myself and I could do nothing but watch, stare at the shell of a woman who I used to be. I forced myself to look away from the mirror and stumble over to my bedroom.

Five years. I thought to myself. Five years of this shit and now, nothing but blurry memories. I thought back to the ring. It was supposed to be a promise that she'd come back. She had to, and even after weeks, slowly turning into months, of false hope and monotone days I still held onto that promise. I couldn't give up on her, but I also couldn't do anything.

Next thing I knew, I was rudely woken up by rays of sunshine peeking through my curtains.

I sat up and made my way over to the bathroom.