Chapter 6

Yuki POV

"Do you want anything in particular for dinner today Gaara?" I asked as I opened up the fridge.

"I'm curious about those bananas you keep in the pantry. What's the difference between those and the one you keep on the counter." He asked as he did some homework.

"Oh! Those aren't bananas. They are called plantains. If I cut it up and fry it. You can eat it plain, with a special rice, and even beans. Do you wanna try?" I asked checking which ones were ripe.

"Yes please" he replied.

"Then I'll fry us some plantain with beans. I think you like it." I said get plantains and oil out.

-Time skip-

 "This is an African dish

"This is an African dish. I think you will like it considering you like flavored foods." I said placing the plate in front of him. "With this dish you just need to use your hands I'll show you how."

"Mmm~" He hummer as he took a bite

"It's good right! My mom used to make this for me all the time." I chuckled also eating.

We finished quickly and Gaara offered to clean the kitchen so I could take a shower early.

I thanked him and went towards the bathroom.

I haven't felt so happy in such a long time. Finally cooking for and eating with someone after so long made me feel great.

I'm so glad he's here.

-Next Day-

"Hey Lucky! What's up Gaara!" Jason called as we stepped off the bus.

We both greeted him as we walked the rest of the way to school.

"Friday is just around the corner I can't wait for the weekend!" Jason chuckled.

"I know right. It's such a relief." I chuckled.

"We've got some time before class starts let's go walk a bit." He suggested.

"Where should we go?" Gaara asked.

"Let's head to the library. I need some help with math homework. Do you think you two could help me I know how smart you guys are." Jason chuckled.

"Of course." Gaara replied.

" You're always so uptight man. Loosen up! I told you we were friends so there's no reason to sound so formal." Jason said draping an arm over Gaara's shoulder.

"I apologize. I'm still not use to this concept of friends." He said with a hint of sadness.

I saw Jason visibly tense up.

"What do you mean? Didn't you have friends back in Japan?" He asked.

"I...I did not have very good social skills back home. Just about everyone steered clear of me. I was what you would call an outcast......." Gaara explained as he lowered his head.

"What why!? Your so popular!" Jason questioned now shocked.

"I....got into fights a lot. I was very aggressive and.....hostile......." Gaara said with a glint of regret in his eyes.

I knew what he was talking about. He has talking about all the shinobi he killed.

" So people were scared of you? Not going to lie when I first saw you I thought you were a total wimp. I never expected you to be so athletic." Jason joked trying to lift the mood.

"You don't need to worry about that kind of thing now though. You have me and Lucky. You can forget about your past and worry about now. We're here for you man!" Jason said rubbing Gaara's hair.

Gaara stayed silent for a moment before a small smile graced his face. "Thank you...Thank you both."