True Courage [old version]

Poland was wiping away a tear from his eye.

You sat down next to him, but it seemed like he didn't notice.

"He pierced it with a rusty nail? You have to let me look at that." You said as quietly and as calmly as possible.

"Don't touch me!" Poland jumped up, anger written all over his face.

You grabbed one of his arms making him try to flee from your grip.

He ripped you off your feet, so you pulled him down with you. Sitting down on his stomach you tried to calm him down.

He was fidgeting and cursing beneath you. You didn't know how to make him stop, so you had to do it the painful way.

Raising your hand you slapped him. He stopped fidgeting and looked up to you with a hurt, big round eye.

"I'm sorry, but you have to calm down." You whispered.
"Infected eyes can be dangerous. I only want to help you. Please let me look at your eye."

Poland's tired body shuddered.

"No please. It's horrible." He shook his head. "It's hideous and painful. Please don't."

"It's okay, I'm not here to judge. I want to help you." You repeated, sounding more like a parent than your short-tempered self.

He winced, and closed his remaining eye. Patients did that quite often. It was to hide their shame.

You removed the eye patch. The sight was horrible. The flesh around his eye was black, infected, swollen and probably more painful than a shot wound. It was foul smelling, puss would flow out of some pockets.

Most of the people would start gagging and the really squeamish people would even pass out.

But you didn't. Even though you'd never seen something this bad before, you weren't going to make someone hurt feel uncomfortable.

Keeping calm, you tried to see if any of the nail was still in his eye. Poland started shuffling again. It was obvious that this was very uncomfortable.

You remembered what your father had once told you.

When a patient starts feeling uncomfortable, scared or threatened, speak to them. The sound of someone's voice will make them calm down.

"Did you know, that eyes are a part of your brain?" You suddenly spit out a random fact you knew.

"N... no." Congress Poland stuttered.

"Well now you do. It's a part of your brain that sticks out basically." You muttered.

"Oh. Does that mean, when I touch me eye, I touch... like... my brain?" He asked, trying to keep the conversation going.

"Yes, you could look at it that way." You nodded.

Yes, there still are particles of the nail there, but he particles are too small. It's spread through the entire wound.

"How do you know stuff like that?" Poland asked.

"My dad. He is a doctor." You replied, happy that he was also talking to you and relaxing a little.

"He sounds like a very good man. Being a doctor must mean someone is brave, working with sick people every day." Poland rasped.

"Yes. But brave men get scared too." You answered. "How can someone be brave if their not scared?"

Poland opened his one eye a little, as if he knew you meant him.

Suddenly he wanted to talk to you. He wanted to talk. Finally scream out what he was trying to say for ages.