Escape

Dear Aimee,
I am done hiding.
I’m done waiting for things to get better.
It’s time to take matters into my own hands.
Time to let someone else make the minestrone.
I’m taking a radio, even though it doesn’t have power.
But I’m gonna take it anyway.

That was the last letter that Joel Dawson wrote before making the decision to go to the surface.

A terrible decision really.

But I guess in hindsight it might have been the best decision he ever made, but I guess that's just personal opinion.

Dear Aimee,
I am doing it.
I’m really doing it!
Honestly, I thought it’d be way worse.
So far, it’s not too bad.
I’ve seen a lot of signs of death, but no actual death.
So cross your fingers.
Trying to stay positive.
Weather’s nice.
Getting some fresh air.
What else can I tell ya?

That was when the sound of a cold blooded mutant get closer and closer to eating and killing Joel made the man quickly scurry into the closest house he could get inside.

Once he closed the door, every muscle in his body relaxed. The coward believed he was safe in the house, however the creature in the duck pond in the backyard had a very different idea. Joel had searched the house for anything he could use as food or protection or fun but he came up empty handed and a little scared since there was something in the fridge. Joel decided to check the backyard, unaware of the danger lurking just below the surface of the murky water.

Joel saw something sticking out of the water but he couldn't quite make out what it was, he took a step closer, not thinking it could be any kind of danger. Thats when the eye began to rise out of the water. Then a second eye.

Then a third.

Then a fourth.

Then the rest of the mutated creature started to rise out of the water. It became clear to Joel now that it was a mutated frog, the water slipped off its body easily including the saliva out of its mouth, all eyes on Joel. The creature was ready to eat Joel in one bite but Joel? Joel was shaking and on the verge of tears, it was maybe the 2nd or 3rd time he'd actually seen a monster face-to-face so this was a terrifying experience for someone who was generally always terrified.

Suddenly, Joel heard a barking from behind him and then he ended up on the ground. A dog had pushed him out of the way before the frog used its mutated, incredibly long tongue to try and grab him. It ended up grabbing a gnome and slowly dragging it along the ground. The dog ran over to the frog and started barking at it, it did nothing.

Joel realised then that he had to get the hell out of there, he got up and started running towards the broken fence that would lead to his freedom. Unfortunately, the frog had dropped the gnome and wanted to go back to eating Joel, so it used its tongue again to slam Joel into the fence before wrapping its tongue around his foot and dragging him towards its even larger mouth.

The dog then began to bite the tongue which hurt the frog enough for it to retract its tongue, however not enough for it to fully leave them alone. It clambered out of the pond and headed straight for Joel for the second time and someone saved his life for the second time. It wasn't the dog however. An Arrow came whirring through the air and landed right between the frogs big eyes, then another. Then another.

The frog ended up falling to the ground, dead. Joel scanned around to see where those arrows came from until he saw someone approaching him. They had long dark hair and mysterious looking eyes, they seemed to be fairly equipped with weapons. It looked like they had a bow with several arrows and a sword of some sorts strapped on to their back. Joel smiled at the rescuer before being punched right on the jaw.