The Things We'd Want To Say

After Joel did the most amazing job of saving Arrow's life, they wanted to do something to pay him back.

"Arrow seriously you really don't have to do anything, you don't save people's lives for a reward do you?" He said.

Arrow was silent.

"Wait, do you?" Joel said, surprised.

"No I'm kidding, you save someone's life cause its the right thing to do" Arrow shrugged

"Exactly. Like when you..." a light bulb lit up in his mind.

"Like when you saved my life when we first met! Which means I've paid back the technical debt I owed you so you owe me nothing! Ha!" He said proudly.

Arrow started laughed and sighed happily.

"Alright, you win, I guess I don't owe you anything" They said with a smile.

"It's nice to see you smile and laugh more. It's almost...comforting" Joel said as they walked through the trees.

"Comforting? Really? I thought it would be more....unsettling, since you've never really seen or heard me do either very much" Arrow said with a slight chuckle.

"Well it's nice. It sorta makes me think that everything's gonna work out the way we want" He said

Well, if it worked out the way they both wanted then that would be impossible. They both wanted different things.

Joel wanted to make it to Jenner beach, reunite with his girlfriend, start up their relationship again and live a long, happy life with her.

Arrow wanted:

Joel.

It's stupid, sappy, love shit I know, but it's what they wanted. It's who they wanted.

During their journey it started to rain.

Heavily.

For Arrow, it was an inconvenience. For Joel, it was a god send.

"Oh my god, rain!" Joel said and laughed.

"I haven't felt rain in seven years!" He said, letting the rain fall down his face. The weather got worse and the rain fell heavier.

"Okay but we have to get to shelter at one point, Joel. We don't wanna catch a cold!" They said through the loud sounds of rain crashing on every surface it can reach.

Joel nodded in agreement, they were near a town anyway, so they decided to hide there for the night. They were getting a good night's rest tonight but no food. You can't have both.

Not both.

Joel called into the air happily because he got to feel rain. Arrow started to laugh at the way Joel was acting.

"Come on Arrow, appreciate the rain!" He said, gently grabbing their waist and spinning them.

Arrow laughed and slicked their hair back with the water.

"Alright, maybe this is a little fun!" They smiled

Arrow grabbed Joel's hand and pulled him into some shelter so they could dry off. Joel laughed and held onto their hand tightly.

The two of them looked at each other and smiled, they enjoyed the moment they had, no fear of monsters, no fear of death. No worrying.

Just them. In the moment.

"Do you think I'm crazy? Coming all this way for Aimee?" Joel said, looking Arrow directly in their eyes, he never noticed that their eyes had a small hint of yellow near the iris.