Let's fly together

Summary: Bucky is infatuated with Sam's wings, and Sam is with Bucky's.

(Takes place after Endgame, no one dies, Almost all the avengers live together in the Stark tower here, and all of them have wings, like real, feathery wings :)

___

Sitting by the large glass window in the living room, Bucky busks in the warmth of the last rays of shine the sun provides before setting down. He can feel the soft caress of a cool breeze on his closed eyelids, in his chestnut-hued locks. His feathered wing flutters softly while his mechanical wing hangs limply from his back. He has always loved his lovely cobalt blue and shiny black wings, now it's only one wing because a few decades ago Hydra decided to chop off his left wing and arm before replacing those with mechanical ones. Bucky hates the looks he gets from other people whenever he is out on the street. If it was only his arm then he could hide it under long sleeves and gloves, but how can someone hide their 'bigger than them' wings? He wraps his natural wing around the right side of his body and clenches his eyes, trying to shoo away the overwhelming sadness and panic that consume him whenever he thinks about Hydra. 

He used to hide in his barely lit apartment after he got pardoned and was attending those court-mandated therapy sessions. That went on until Tony healed from his snap injuries and dragged Bucky's ass to the Avengers compound. The genius had forgiven Bucky a long time ago and now truly wants him to heal from his traumatic experiences. 

It feels good to be here in the compound. Steve constantly sported a pouty face for a week because he could never make Bucky come out of his apartment, but Tony was able to. On his first attempt. Now Bucky lives on the same floor with Steve, Sam, and Natasha. It's pretty refreshing and fun until it reminds Bucky of all the things he doesn't want to remember. Like the fact that all of them have such pretty pairs of wings, and he has only one wing. Hell, even that giant purple raisin, Thanos had those bright blue and purple wings and he rocked them! Bucky has been trying to get rid of that mental image ever since their last battle.

He loves Steve's fluffy, shimmery golden wings with a creamy hue on the upper portion of those. These days he pops in Steve's room every once in a while and asks with puppy eyes if he can pet his wings. Of course, Steve always lets him preen his feathers knowing how much it helps him to calm down.

Natasha has ruby red wings with specks of wine-red glitters that always intrigue Bucky. After noticing him staring at her wings for a week, Natasha gave him permission to preen those, blessing his broken heart.

And lastly, Bucky has let his heart tumble after the man with four wings, aka Sam Wilson- the only guy with mechanical wings like Bucky himself. Only difference? He got that gear because he wanted to, and he can strip that away anytime he wishes, unlike Bucky.

Sam has these beautiful crimson red and umber-colored wings that Bucky needs to run his fingers over and hide his face in. He knows, the ever-growing fascination with Sam's wings is going to make him confess his infatuation with the man too, but he can't control himself. He knows very well that if he spends any time with the new Captain America, his desires for him will rise to the surface like a tsunami. But he never wants that to not happen.

Bucky was caught in the act by Sam about five months ago, busy staring at his fluffy wings during a movie night. The younger man had just let out an amused chuckle and smirked, before moving impossibly closer to Bucky and touching his shoulder with his wing. Of course, Bucky couldn't resist falling asleep on Sam's shoulder that night, even after seeing endless teasing grins from Natasha coming from miles away.

A small smile dangles on his lips, and a soft blush spreads across his face. It seems to be the perfect moment for Sam to enter the room, catching him smiling like an idiot. He raises his eyebrows and smirks to himself before clearing his throat. The sudden sound startles Bucky and he lets out a high-pitched screech. Within seconds Steve comes out of his room running, his vision frantically searching around the room for any danger. He calms down when he notices Bucky and Sam, "oh, it's just you guys. Keep it down, will you?" He scoffs and goes back to his room while muttering about his back suddenly hurting because he got up from his bed too abruptly.

"Eh, such a grandpa." Bucky snickers, making Sam laugh.

"You're not very young yourself, Barnes. Wait... Aren't you older than Steve?"

"Shut up, Bird," Bucky grumbles and tries very hard to not let out a content sigh when Sam brushes his fingers across his feathery wing. Bucky closes his eyes and parts his lips, hoping Sam would carry on.

"Want me to preen your wing, Buck?"

"Yes, please. I'll do yours too." Sam chuckles at that, "you and I both know that you'll be snoring by the time I'm finished. So, thank you, but you don't have to preen my wings tonight. If you want, you can help me with them tomorrow, yeah?"

"Mhmm yeah." Bucky doesn't even try to hold back his moans now. He will have to confess to Sam someday soon, so why hold back now?

By the time Sam finishes preening Bucky's wing, the ex-assassin is asleep. So Sam carefully picks him up and carries him to his room. He covers Bucky's body with his plush blue blanket after settling him down on the bed.

He presses a soft kiss on Bucky's cheek, "so beautiful, so peaceful like this. Sleep well, Buck."

Sam leaves the room with a shy, content grin matching the one Bucky 'I love pretending to be asleep hoping Sam would carry me' Barnes has dancing on his own lips.

____

How was this chapter? This was very much inspired by a one shot, "Soft touches (stony)" by GayRainbowBridge

 Send me prompt requests guys 😄