Ch.2 A Hand Clapped on a Back

He would hear the chaos within before he even opened the door. There was shouting, clanging, clattering, and the roaring of engines all happening at once. But, it seemed like organized chaos, like everything was happening for a reason.

He could hear the faint noises of a shouting conversation, something about where a certain tool was.

His heart was racing faster than it ever has before. That feeling before was taken over by nerves and slight regret.

Was he going to regret this? Was this a bad choice? Should he have really taken a job from a random man? Was he too impulsive?

The thoughts ran on and on but got interrupted by a familiar noise. That of the engine of a bike, the simple yet intricate never-ending rumble. He realized it was coming from inside, and his curiosity was starting to take over.

Well, it's now or never. Lets hope I don't get fucking murdered.

He took one deep breath and opened the door. He was immediately greeted by the noise growing in volume with the images before him accompanying them. His eyes wandered around the shop, landing on what he expected.

Chaos.

There was a car lifted off the ground slightly with a person underneath working on it. There was a bike that was started with a boy with brown hair revving the engine, making sure it ran right. There was someone with black and white split dyed hair (again?) polishing what looked like a newly fixed car, preparing it for its return. The walls were dawned with shelves filled with bottles, cans, boxes, buckets, tools, wires, and more that Tommy couldn't even name.

The walls had posters scattered across with images ranging from band posters to the parts of a certain car. The ground was stained with smudges of what he assumed to be oil but it could be something else.

What does he know?

There were a total of three people in the shop, but Tommy was expecting more. However, it seemed it worked out perfectly. The shop was small enough that it really only needed three people, or four now. Maybe it had grown in popularity.

He looked back at the boy revving the bike only to see him looking back. His eyes were filled with confusion, then a sudden realization. His face lit up and a smile grew. He quickly stumbled off the bike, almost falling while doing so, and turned it off.

The boy ran up to Tommy, that smile still plastered on his face.

"Hi! You're the new kid right?" his smile never fell, only somehow getting larger. His face must hurt by now.

"That's me, big man. The name's Tommy, he/him," he stuck his hand in his pockets, hoping the boy wouldn't ask for a handshake.

"Well, I'm Tubbo! he/him," he beamed. "Welcome to The Esempi!" He clapped a hand on Tommy's back, startling the blonde. He pointed to the man under the car. "That's Sam, he/him if you didn't know already. I think you've already met him, though." The man in question raised his hand from under the car in a small wave, only for it to be retreated once more.

Tubbo then pointed to the only other person in the shop. "That's Ranboo, he/they pronouns." It was then that Tommy noticed Ranboo was wearing a mask, only showing his eyes. With his name being said, he looked over and gave what looked to be a smile accompanied with a small wave.

Tommy was still entranced by the whole place, it radiating a sense of home (more than his own). A small smile grew on his face, filled with that feeling from when he first met Sam. He still can't figure out what it is, but he likes it. Loves it, even.