Ch.15 Don't Give In

Tommy was having a good day.

He got his favorite breakfast that morning and spent time with one of the few people he looks up to.

He got to spend time with the people he considers his family.

He got to win one of the biggest races yet.

It was a good day.

He hadn't seen Wilbur or Phil, and he didn't bother to think about them either.

He gave into the good and calm of the world around him.

The people left the stands long ago, the sky now starting to seep into colors. Slowly, his fellow racers started to trickle out too.

Everyone left one by one, until just Dream and Tommy stood looking at the sun seep beneath the horizon.

That feeling took over Tommy. That feeling when you get done hanging out with your friends. That feeling where you think you annoyed everyone the entire time. That feeling where you just want to have company for the rest of eternity.

That feeling.

There was just a hole in his chest. He felt empty. He felt like he had something ripped out of him and thrown to the side, only to be retrieved with dirt and dust crusting the outside.

He sat on the concrete wall staring into the distance, mindlessly tracing cracks with his finger and that hole just got bigger and bigger.

It happened every time. He couldn't control it. So he just gives in every time, not wanting to fight a fight he knows he'll lose.

There was wind. As it blew the trees, their branches shook, the occasional leaf falling down.

There was sound. The white noise of cars driving past not too far from the track.

There were memories. That of genuine smiles and real laughs that he would give anything to go back to.

There was the sky. It was painted with warm colors, slowly darkening as it reached up further to the moon.

There were smells. It was like the hot air cooling down as the sun took its rest for the night.

There was a man sitting next to him. He also stared into the distance, observing the same thing as Tommy with his full face exposed.

He only took off his mask with people he trusted.

The sun kissed face with small scars was fully visible to the world, but nobody cared. Only Tommy got to see it now, and that's all he ever wanted.

The hole in his chest got a little smaller.

Dream scooted a little closer to who he considered a little brother. It was close enough where their shoulders touched and their legs could if they moved an inch.

The elder outstretched his arm, setting it on the youngers shoulder so it encased him.

He gave in.

He laid his head onto Dream's shoulder, taking a deep breath that shuddered a little bit when Dream laid his on top.

They just sat there in silence, letting the sky that was once vivid turn slowly to the deep blue that is the night. The stars slowly popped up, constellations soon able to trace with your eyes. The moon lit up the ground beneath them but not enough to light up the sky itself.

The stars were beautiful.

The two brothers not in blood just sat, taking in the world around them. They each need to take some time and appreciate the little things in the world.