Month Two

The first day of Month Two, my mother brought me out to the Bridge Brook restaurant. I wore my laced dress with a pink shall, and my dress shoes. I even decided to wrap my head scarf around my stitched head.

As my loose medical bracelet dangled from my thin wrist, I gladly took the menu from the front desk.

The inside was massively big. Dark oak tables and stools dotted the big open space. A circular bar wrapped around this huge aquatic fish tank, holding dozens of tropical sea creatures.

A short, brown-skinned lady brought us out the doors to a quiet patio. The sun was just dipping into the calm ocean, a light warm breeze tickling my washed hair. Boats surrounded the cluttered docks, that swooped around the bay.

The small table was near the water, so you could easily hear the waves licking up to the stuck-O walls of the edge. Tammy, the waitress, took our drink order. A coke for my mom, and an orange juice/sprite mixture for me. It sounds nasty, but trust me it's amazing.

Only a few other tables were filled on the patio, with only two or three pedestrians seated. Small whispers were heard here and there, and the muffled sound of noise from inside.

It was very calming, relaxing. As a different waitress brought out a steak and rack of ribs, my stomach growled. And for the first time in a few months, I felt... hungry. Like, that food looks very appetizing.

When the waiter came back fifteen minutes later, my mom ordered a rack of ribs, and I asked for the grilled steak. Tammy looked at me weird, but nothing I haven't seen before. I wouldn't let it get to me, but for some reason she eyes kept finding mine when she talked to someone else.

Brushing it off my shoulder, I focused on my mom. Her shoulder length hair was braided along her neck, wrapping around to her left shoulder. Her eyes, baby blue, almost glowed in the setting sun. I smiled at her, and she smiled back.

"I'm glad we're doing this."

Before she could respond, Tammy already came back with the food platters. The food was not only delicious, but it was well designed across each platter. I immediately took my knife at it, sawing through the tender, juicy meat. Right when it touched my mouth, my tastebuds started to dance. I didn't take a breath until I was done, looking up at my mom- whose not done with half of her rack, yet.

I spent the rest of the time watching the glazing sun dip farther into the cooling water. Gradually, the small lights that hung around the patio started to flow a little brighter, giving us the glow to see each other.

When we were done eating the amazing five star meal, we bucked into mom's car and drove back home without another word.

The rest of that month was laziness. Nothing special. Nothing new. Vomiting. Medication. Sleeping. Cartoons. Doctors appointment. MRI. Repeat.