Sacrifice.

Spending the night catching up with mama, Bud and Lou was the most relaxed night Jess had had in a long while. Unfortunately morning came and with it, disaster.

Just before daybreak black clouds formed and alien devices made themselves known. Jess hugged Harley.

"I've got to go help, mama."

"I know my baby. I'll be here when you get back." The two were tearful since neither knew if there was any coming back from this.

Jess opened a pocket to Metropolis. If anyone had something to combat the reach it was Luther.

"Perfect timing Jester." Luther greeted. He was on a chat with several heroes. Apparently blue beetle and him had created a device to disable the reach technology. There were twenty devices and forty heroes. "You'll stay here in case of an emergency. I know since the accident you can't use your ability to full capacity anymore. That's why I didn't just have you trap all the disrupters in pockets." Jess nodded, appreciating the fact that Luther had thought of her capabilities. It was probably out of his own best interest though, if she failed in pocketing even one of the things it could destroy the planet. From what she gathered that is. She wasn't quite sure the extent of the machines since the only experience she's had with something of their kind was Malina island and mount Justice.

The pairs of heroes were dispatched to a device each and used the lex tech to disable them. Unfortunately blue beetle detected another one, one that didn't show up on his initial scan because of the interference. One in the arctic.

"They aren't fast enough to reverse the polarity of it if it's active. Even with the two of them generating the kinetic energy." Jess stated as the flash team went to disable it.

"Go." Luther gave her the order and she opened a pocket with a nod. She was instantly cold because of improper outerwear, but that had to take the back burner. There were bigger priorities that needed addressing. She saw the duo running laps around the activated device. They were making slow progress, but it wouldn't be enough. A flash of yellow nearly ran into her before coming back.

"What are you doing?" Wally asked. Jess pointed to the machine.

"I'm the only one who can stop it." Wally went to protest when she grabbed the collar of his suit. She opened a pocket and pulled out a red envelope. "Give this to Richard for me."

"I'm not letting you do this." She shook her head.

"I wasn't asking. It's the only way. I'm legally dead and you'd be greatly missed. I won't let them lose any more family." He went to protest again when she pulled him close and kissed him. He was rightfully shocked and went to pull away but the toxin was already in his system. "I'm sorry. But I can't let you stop me." He started to sway. "Just give him the letter for me. Okay?" She helped lay him down in the snow and walked towards the other two speedsters. "Please give me strength." She didn't know who she was asking, but anything would be helpful at this point.

She walked as close as she could to the vortex the two speedsters were creating and opened a small pocket above the machine, she'd need to open it further, but she didn't want to undo tha work the speedsters had done already. She then opened a separate pocket and transported the two speedsters a safe distance away from the machine, somewhere far enough away that they wouldn't interrupt her work. She could feel the warm drips of blood from her nose but she couldn't give up now. Using both hands and bracing her feet she pulled the pocket further open.

Memories of better times came to mind as she pulled the widened pocket to fit around the machine. Only problem was she would be in the radius of its closure. She would be trapped in a pocket with the machine.

"I'm sorry." She said to no one in particular. Either tears or more blood leaks trailed down her cheeks as she put more effort into closing the pocket under the machine. It was slow going, but she'd make it close before the machine went off. No matter the cost.

From the corner of her eye she noticed a ship land. Heroes stepped out of it but she couldn't risk losing her focus. The pocket was most of the way closed by now.

A sad smile came to her face. This was the first time she's actually saved anyone. She'd cry if she wasn't already at the realization. Would they remember her as a hero? Or a villain?

What would mama say? Who would even tell her?

She could see a figure trying to get closer but the pocket was nearly closed by now.

She put her all into closing the pocket and felt her ears pop. A dull ringing was all she heard despite the noise of the machine. Warmth tracked its way down from her ears.

She screamed in anguish closing the dark pocket and collapsing to the ground under her. She glanced up through a red haze and saw through the wall of her pocket that Richard had been the one to try and reach her. He had fallen to his knees just outside the border of her pocket. A sad tear fell down her face.

Even though she was in the Arctic she could feel the heat from the reach machine as it was nearing its end. She closed her eyes and felt an impact. The last thing she had seen being Richard. At least with the letter he'd know. He'd know everything and she had made peace with that. Hopefully he could forgive her for the choices she's made.

Then everything went white.