Chapter 2 - do you copy?

The car ride was short and quite peaceful. I had managed to slip my walkman into my pocket as I was leaving the house which kept me occupied for the journey. I sat peacefully listening to 'In the flesh' play quietly through the foam pads sat neatly around my ears. My head rested gently against the glass window, rhythmically drumming my fingers against the pane as I watched the rows of trees fly by. The ambient atmosphere almost lulled me into a peaceful slumber until a sharp crackling noise awoke me as I felt the car swerve into a driveway.

I lifted myself from the glass and peered through the windscreen

"Is this the place?" I asked still half-dazed

My question was shortly answered as we passed a very large sign with the words 'Camp know where' printed prominently.

A small smile tugged at my lips when I saw a familiar bundle of curly hair in the distance.

Mom also appeared to notice this as she very excitedly and hastily parked the car and rushed to greet him.

"OH DUSTY HONEY I'VE MISSED YOU" She blurted as she pulled him into a tight embrace.

"Mom- can't - breath" dustin managed to whisper

"Mom you're strangling him" I joked as she reluctantly released him

"Did you enjoy camp nerd?" I asked sarcastically

"Did you enjoy being broke and moping around the house?" He snapped back

"Well actually while you were reciting the periodic table I was babysitting the morrisons kids next door so... not so broke anymore" I replied with a smile

"Kinda missed you though buddy" I said ruffling his hair

"You to- Hey! Watch the hair!" He ducked out of my reach

"Is that Hairspray?" I questioned looking from my hand to my brothers hair.

"What? No- no! Why would I- no!" He stormed off defensively into the car

"You're such a weirdo" I smiled to myself as I followed him into the car.

The car ride back was pretty much the same as the journey there, until dustin started shouting into his walkie.

I lifted the headphones from my ears, abruptly cutting off 'the cure'.

"Dustin what's with the shouting?"

"I'm in range! Why aren't they answering?!" He shouted back

"Give them a break it's summer! They can't be at your beck and call at the drop of a hat dustin"

Dustin sighed angrily and crossed his arms in frustration, choosing to ignore me. He remained that way the whole journey home and sulked into his room.

Little did he know that I had a surprise in store...

- 24 HOURS EARLIER -

"Hello? Is this the wheelers? ... Hi Mrs wheeler it's Heather, Heather Henderson.... I'm doing well Mrs wheeler are you?... that's great to hear, Would I be able to talk to Mike?.... thankyou.... Hey Mike it's Heather. So you know how dustin gets back tomorrow?... yeah well I was wondering if maybe you could get the gang together and throw him a welcome home party?.... okay awesome!! Let the others know.... tomorrow at 1. Thanks for this Mike... see you tomorrow" I put the phone down feeling pleased with myself, excited for the next day.

- CURRENT TIME -

I heard a gentle knock at the door and opened it to see Mike, will, lucas, el and max waiting eagerly. I ushered them in quietly and waited in the kitchen.

I listened patiently as I heard dustins door open and the electronic sound of his robots. I was unsure of their plan but I trusted the process hoping they had something good in store. All of a sudden, the electronic symphony halted and I peered my head into the living room.

They all shouted "SURPRISE" as dustin let out an ear-splitting screech and jolted around to spray poor lucas in the face with- wait- is that- is that Hairspray?

"HA I KNEW IT. FARRAH FAWCETT THAT IS PRICELESS" I shouted bursting into laughter as I ran into the living room.

Everyone was in fits of laughter, apart from dustin who was now permanently scarred by the ambush and lucas who was not-permanently blinded by dustins Hairspray.

"Welcome home buddy!" I said in between laughter patting dustin on the shoulder earning a mild elbow to the ribs.