Chapter 17 - a way with words

As the night drew on the elevator seemed smaller and smaller and smaller.

Erica was slumped in a corner, her head resting against her my little pony backpack. Every now and then she'd fidget uncomfortably, the stony cold floors weren't exactly built for sleep.

Dustin occupied another corner, his head drastically tilted against the wall. He dozed peacefully, drool slipping onto his t-shirt the way he used to on our couch after a movie marathon. I smiled briefly at the thought of it. Russians, elevators and the complicated emotions of youth didn't seem to exist in my world then. The shelter of a small town has its perks sometimes.

Steve was noticeably absent from the strange scene, as he had fallen asleep trying to scale the walls above the elevator. He eventually gave up and with a gentle thud, had practically blacked out on top of the elevator.

The only person present who hadn't fallen asleep was Robin, sat deep in thought across from me scribbling something down on a scrap of paper.

I'm not one to disturb people who look deep in thought but curiosity got the better of me as I whispered:

"Robin?"

She didn't seem to notice the break of the silence.

"Roooobbbiiin" I called out again

Still nothing

"ROBIN" I whisper-shouted with a laugh.

Finally, her head was lifted from her paper to look at me with the eyes of a doe.

"You okay? You look... like that's important" I said stupidly

'You look like that's important'

God I'm a regular Shakespeare

"You writing your Christmas list to santa or something?" I joked trying to cover up my idiocy.

"Um... no actually I was just... writing down some, you know, um ideas for how to get out of here" she fumbled

"Oh okay that's great can I see them?" I asked moving closer to her

"Uh I don't know. They're not very good" she brought the paper in closer to her chest protectively.

Something was up. I may be incapable of words but I can read robin like a book. Her eyes seemed wider than normal and she was slowly folding the paper towards herself.

I was itching to ask more questions or to just grab the paper and look for myself. But I bit my tongue... for now.

"Okay" I replied plainly with a smile

"Have you thought of anything?" Robin asks desperately

"Unfortunately no...nothing" I replied with a sigh.

A wave of worry washed over me as I realised that I truly hadn't thought of a single way out of here.

"We'll figure it out" Robin reassured

There was a heavy silence as we glanced around the elevator, to the unidentified boxes and our friends sleeping peacefully. Sleep seemed very appealing at that moment, I thought it might be my only escape from this stupid little elevator.

"We'll figure it out" Robin spoke again, quieter this time as if she couldn't commit to the words.

"You know we should probably get some sleep too" I suggested

"Gotta keep up your energy to keep your annoyingly large brain working" I joked tapping her forehead

She smiled genuinely at me, it felt like days since I had seen it.

"You probably have a point there...
Goodnight heather" she miled tentatively

"Goodnight Robin" I said quietly

Except we didn't move. We stood there staring for what felt like hours, not knowing. What were we supposed to do?

Smile?
Wave?
Hug?
Cry?
Kiss?

I didn't know. And I certainly wasn't about to ponder why that last option appeared so quickly into my thoughts.

Eventually, we settled for a hug. It was cautious and brief but it was enough.

"Let me know if you need anything" I spoke softly as I pulled away and settled on the floor.

I stared blankly at the dull ceiling of the elevator until my exhaustion got the better of me and I drifted to sleep thinking only one thing, 

We have to get out of here.

-

A/n - Hey guys!! I'm back after a very long break! I know this is only a short one but I'm hoping to write another very soon. As ever, I love hearing what you guys think so all interaction is very much appreciated. Thankyou for reading and Happy holidays! :)