Chapter 5 - the code

"Hey Robin did you OD in there" I asked knocking lightly on the bathroom door after she hadn't returned for a while.

"No I am in fact still alive" she said spritely flinging open the door

"Ok good because there's a group of tweens out there demanding free ice cream samples and I thought I should leave it up to the expert" I spoke as we walked back to the counter.

"Oh god.....Erica" she drawled glumly, sulking to the counter to face the girl furiously ringing the bell.

"I would like... USS butterscotch, strawberry shortcake, vanilla dream and triple chocolate samples for all my friends here" Erica, the ringleader, spoke.

Robin sighed deeply before reluctantly getting samples for all 4 tween girls. I sat on the back counter swinging my legs back and forth watching the amusing scene unfold.

Erica swiftly finished her sample before demanding,

"I'll have a mint choc chip now, p-lease"

Robin re-opened the freezer to scoop the sample.

"I'm sure there's gotta be some company policy against this shit" she mouthed to me before turning back to hand Erica her sample.

I laughed and decided to go and get Steve, feeling that Robin probably needed some assistance. I hopped off the counter and wandered into the break room to find him.

"There you are! I think Robin needs some assistance with some tweens" I joked after finding him pacing the break room, my brother sat in a chair with his walkman. By the looks on their faces, they appeared as if they'd been caught in the middle of something.

"What are you guys doing?" I questioned them with suspicion.

Before they had a chance to answer Robin burst into the room

"Okay babysitting time is over! You need to get in there!" She said exasperated, storming across the room

"Hey my board! That was important data shitbirds!" She informs them, gesturing to the whiteboard which was now rid of Steve's dating scoreboard and instead was replaced by some kind of code or alphabet.

"I guarantee you, what we're doing is way more important than your... data" Dustin quipped

"Yeah? And how do you know these Russians are up to no good anyways?" She proclaimed smugly.

Wait. What? Russians? Now I'm completely lost.

"How does she know about the Russians?" Dustin turns to Steve in shock

"I don't know!" Steve muffles under a mouthful of food

"You told her about?--"

"--it wasn't me" they bicker back and forth.

"Hello I can hear you! Actually I can hear everything you are both extremely loud... you think you have evil Russians plotting against our country, on tape, and you're trying to translate but you haven't figured out a word because you didn't realise Russians use an entirely different alphabet than we do. Sound about right?" She asks coolly.

Woah. An utter genius and she puts my brother in his place. Is there anything this girl can't do?

Robin suddenly lurches forward to grab the tape but Steve quickly snatches it before she can.

"Woah woah woah!! What do you think you're doing?" He asks

"I wanna hear it" She states obviously

"Why?" My brother and Steve answer in unison

"'Cause maybe I can help... I'm fluent in four languages you know?"

"Russian?" Dustin asks

"Ou-yay are-yay umb-day"

Dustin and Steve proceeded to freak out over this before Robin burst their bubble:

"That was pig Latin dingus"

Steve slaps Dustin on the shoulder with a banana skin and calls him an idiot which makes me laugh a little. Steve and my brother are like a little comedy duo sometimes.

"I can speak Spanish and French and Italian and I've been in band for 12 years. My ears are little geniuses trust me" Robin reassured Steve who hesitated.

"Come on! It's your turn to sling ice cream, my turn to translate, I don't even want credit I'm just bored" Robin pleaded

Steve reluctantly agrees, trading the walkman in his hands to Robins scooper.

"I doubt I can be any help at all but I'm not going back out there again, not for free or at least within my own free will anyways" I complain.

"Great!" Robin smiled

"I don't speak four languages or anything, I barely speak English correctly but I'm not half-bad at code?" I offer

"Who would've thought? Heather Henderson can code" Robin smirked

"Hey don't doubt my abilities! I have many hidden talents, Code is simply one of them" I defended myself playfully

"I don't doubt you at all Heather" she laughed

Dustin, looking confusingly between me and Robin, cleared his throat to get our attention.

Realising we'd been in our own little world for a moment, we snapped back into reality and started decoding the message.

-

Sorry this one was a lot of repeat dialogue from the show but I'm trying to make it different wherever I can. As ever, feel free to give suggestions :))