Chapter 6: After

Waiting for you, even how you treat me
You're my baby even when you leave me
Maybe I'm the one to blame
Maybe I'm the cause of the pain
- Stuck, Giveon

________________________________

"Alex, this is Christian, " Ava said smiling at a tall guy, wearing Tommy Hilfiger glasses along with a black suit. He had tanned skin and a friendly smile. He was handsome in the traditional sense. Tall, dark hair and dark eyes. Alex couldn't help but think that this is the man she is into now. "Christian, this is my best friend, Alex."

Christian stretched his hand to Alex. Alex took his hand. "Pleasure to meet you."

Christian held his hand with confusion, it was clear that he had never heard the name Alexander before from her lips, not even in its shortened version. Christian said just as much a moment later. The poor guy had been ambushed just like she had done to Alex a million times before."I have never heard you mention Alex before."

Ava laughed nervously. "Alex Evans. You know my parents are friends with the Evans? Queen Chryseis Evans? My brother's best friend?That's his sister."

"I know her," Christian nodded with the beginning of understanding. Ava looked between the two men."I didn't know she had a brother."

"I have been overseas for a while, we lost contact," Alex said coming to her rescue."How did you guys meet?" he asked as everyone sat down. The waiter came over and they made their orders. Alex wasn't particularly hungry that morning or maybe it was because he was dreading the long flight ahead. He hadn't slept well either.

Christian smiled, he was clearly a man in love. Even she was smiling. They gazed at each until Ava cleared her throat and looked at Alex. He felt left out. To be the one on the outside looking in was rare when it came to him and Ava. But that had been their reality since university. Yesterday had felt like when they were children that he had forgotten that he was the stranger to her now. He was the one who had to be caught up with her life. He didn't know the inside jokes. Ava had a sadness about her eyes when she looked at him that someone who was happy shouldn't have.

"I was out at dinner with my friends two years ago and then he came over,"Ava explained, shrugging her shoulders. "You remember Hannah and Jessica, right?"

Alex nodded. "You are very bold."

"That's what a lot of people have said, like she supposed to be scary," Christian brushed her hair behind her ear. Ava kept up a smile, her eyes on Alex. "She's angel."

Alex ran his hand through his hair and laughed. "She must really love you then. When I knew her she was bossy but then again that was eons ago."

Alex narrowed his eyes playfully at her. Ava pouted like a child as Alex laughed at her.

"I was not bossy. You let me do what I want."

"If I don't you pout until I give in."

Christian laughed. "She does have a devastating pout."