Chapter 25 (unedited)

He shouldn't have kissed her. What the fuck had he done? It had been days since he saw Ava and that damned kiss haunted him every time that he closed his eyes. The only way to stop from thinking about her was work and since his trip, he had many things to get signed off.

His phone rang just passed dinner and he knew why. His grandfather was back and doing his daily checks. As he picked up the phone, Alex already knew what he was about to hear.

"Papa."

"Come home for dinner now," his grandfather said in an authoritative tone. "I surprised to hear that she was here and even more so that you let her get cooked up in that hotel."

"I can't tell Ava to do anything, Pa. She doesn't listen to me."

"Well, she's here for dinner and I'll be expecting you."

Alex didn't have much will-power when it came to Ava. He had none left and the thread he had been holding on to snapped long ago. Still, he picked up his jacket and went home. Alex could hear their voices in the other room and braced himself after what he did the other night.

You're such a fuck up! Now that he kissed her, he wanted even more of her. It made little sense to him.

"I am sure he is very busy," Ava said making excuses for him to his grandfather. Why was it that was all they did? Make excuses for one another. Alex had almost come clean the other night and when she gave him an out, he took it like the coward he was.

Just as she talking two butlers went past Alex and entered the dinning hall. He looked down at his phone screen, acting like he was busy. It was childish to hide like that. He didn't owe anyone any explanation for why he wasn't going inside and yet he offered it to them, even if he didn't do it with words.

"He is not that busy," Pierre Evans said, whilst cutting into his food.

"I am here."

Alex walked in looking a little ruffled, his hair a slight mess from being brushed a little too much.

He went straight to the bar pouring himself a drink and then another. Alex, like his father was not much of a drinker, but he had been drinking a little too much lately. It felt like it was the only thing which helped through his interactions with Ava. What did they call it? Liquid courage?

He walked over to her and placed  a gently kiss on her cheek. "Hello."

Alex didn't wait for her response and then he walked over to the other side of the long table.
Ava frowned inwardly. He didn't seem to want to be anywhere near her. After the other night, she was convinced that she had broken him. But no. That night there was an even bigger wall between them than when he pushed her against the door and had his delicious way with her.

"Why are you late?"

The butler came in with his food, he placed a plate in front of Alex. He went around the table with a bottle of wine refilling their glasses.

"I lost track of time," Alex told his grandfather. Now that Ava  was paying attention,  she saw Alex's difficulty in looking into her eyes.

Lost track of time? Alex was the most organised person that she knew, he had a planner for his planner.

"I was telling Ava that you will be happy to show her around. She's  finding life in the city a little dull."