Chapter 20 (unedited)

Keisha White ~ The Weakness in me

________________________________

Chapter 20 (unedited)

"I want to tell you. Fuck, I have to tell you but I just can't." Alex's voice echoed in Ava's ears and brought tears to her eyes. There was so much pain, fear and agony in his voice that she wanted to run to him. Ava had never heard him sound so broken before. He was the one who kept her together even when she pushed him away. If she needed him, he came running.

Ava dialled his number again and went straight to voicemail. She hung up and tried again. "Alex, pick up your damn phone if you know what's good for you!"

She consoled herself by accepting that he was probably flying over a region with poor connection and couldn't speak. Ava sighed. "I'm giving you 14 hours and if you haven't called me back by then, you'll live to regret it."

Ava's mind reeled from what he said. He had been so vague but all she knew was that he was in trouble. Ava didn't care what he did. She didn't even care for the details. She just wanted him to know that whatever it was, they would get through it together. Instinct said to run to Lucas and get him ready incase Alex was in trouble with the law. But Alex ran a multibillion empire, if he needed law advice, he wouldn't come to her.

Something said, he hadn't intended on telling her either and spoke the words while he was weak. The more time that went by, Ava feared he would gather his wits and control his emotions.

What the hell is going on with you, Alex?

"Good morning, beautiful," Christian uttered placing a kiss on her neck.

Ava forced herself to smile unable to stop thinking about Alex. There was nothing that she could do for him then. Ava forced herself to focus and went through the day entertaining Christian and his family. Luckily, her family did most of the talking because she couldn't get her mind from thinking of Alex.

The following days, he didn't call her either or pick up her calls. Ava was certain that he was driving her insane on purpose. Ava looked out to the beach from the balcony of her bedroom, careful not to make much noise with Christian sleeping in the bedroom.

Clenching her mobile phone in her hand, she nearly threw it out when the damn phone didn't ring. "I'm going to kill you and then I won't tell your family where I buried you, do you hear me? Alex, call me! I'm worried sick about you!"

She sighed, looking out at the horizon. This time she was borderline begging him. "Alex, you don't have to tell me what's going on but I need to know that you're okay. Okay, I'm coming after you."

"No, you are not." Christian's dark chocolate eyes were burning with fury as she turned around to face him.

Ava sighed, hanging up the phone. She had never been one to be told what to do but that was not the first thought that came into her mind.  Ava felt as though she had been caught and instead chose to explain.

"Something is wrong with Alex, I have to go to him."

"Our engagement is in two days, whatever is wrong with him can wait."