05 | Empty Street

MASON'S POV
"That's it Mount! Another one!" My couch screamed out, encouraging me to blast the ball into the top bins again. I took a small run up towards the ball and kicked it into the top left corner, feeling a little more triumphant. My coach praised me once again and I ran over to the left side and to do some more drills, checking the time every now and then. "That's my captain!"

"Right! Take a break everyone!" My coach finally said and everyone dispersed to their own bags. I went to my own taking a few sips of my water before checking my phone for the time. 2:37pm. I smiled, quickly jogging over to a spare ball and started juggling it with my feet. I kept glancing over at the edge of the training ground anticipating her arrival..

It's only been a month since I met her, but she's always been the highlight of my day. Even on my shittest days, she always seemed to brighten my mood with her snarky and sarcastic comments. It was after the first week I realised that she became a natural constant in my mind. Everyday I found myself craning my neck to find her walking past the grounds, waiting for her to roll her eyes at the sight of me. Every trick or goal I score I think about her and what her reaction would've been if she was there to watch me. Would she be impressed? Or would she roll her eyes and act bored.. probably the latter.. but that's what makes her, her.

I kept staring at the fence still waiting for her to come. I stopped juggling the ball realising she's a little late. She usually comes around this time.. I walked back over to my bag and sat down next to it, still keeping an eye on the fence. Still nothing..

"Hey Mase, you good?" One of my squad mates, Richard said.

"I'm fine, mate.." I brushed him off, becoming slightly pissed off that she wasn't coming today. She's probably made up with that jackass Taylor or whatever his name is and wanted to hang out with him again.. I stuck by my word and never mentioned that day again, but I always read her body language to see if she was ok. Seeing her in that state felt really foreign to me and I wasn't the one for comforting people, but it burnt a hole in my heart and all I wanted to do was engulf her in a warm hug.. I was seriously contemplating whether or not I should've jumped the fence.. She never really mentioned him again, but it was obvious how much she liked that guy so there's a high possibility she came running back to him.. And that day when I held her hand.. that feeling I felt. It made me crave her more..

"You sure bro? You looking kinda pissed." I let out an exasperated sigh and stood up, walking past Richard, bumping his shoulder in the process, and stormed off to the change rooms. I washed my face and looked in the mirror in front of me. This isn't the first time she hasn't walked past, it happens every now and then, usually because of after school activities but recently it's really been bothering me.. why is she giving me this reaction? I shouldn't miss someone I barely know this much.. and she hates me for god's sake. I sigh. At least I get to see her tomorrow I guess...

. . . . . . . . .

"YES REECE!" I cheered, watching him deflect a ball. I ran up to him to give him a high five as the coach called out for break time. I let out a long sigh. It's been a month since I've seen Nora. A whole month of her not walking past and a whole month of not seeing those beautiful eye rolls or hearing her snarky comments. I sat and wondered if she was purposely ignoring me. What if she was keeping track of my games and knows when I'm playing away? Are those the days when she walks by? Did I get too carried away in testing her temper that she's going all that way to avoid me? I was so overwhelmed by my overthinking that I buried my head in my hands.

What if I'm completely wrong.. what if something happened to her? My mind was full of what ifs and maybes and I had to do something to get my mind off her. God it's been a whole month! I shouldn't even be hung up on this girl! I decided to spend the rest of my break time practicing again.. the Youth FA Cup is coming up and our team is in the finals, might as well train hard for that...

———————
OK THATS THE END OF THE PROLOUGE CHAPTERS!! THERES GOING TO BE A BIG JUMP IN TIME- LIKE BIG BIG BUT ITS APART OF THE STORY!
Hope you're enjoying the story so far!