26 | This... whatever this is

MASON'S POV

I was at Chilly's house after he invited Tiana and me over after training. We sat on his couch playing FIFA while Tiana was leaning on me on her phone, completely disinterested in what was going on.

A soft chuckle escaped her lips which caused me to take a quick glance at her. She was looking at an Instagram post and doubled tapped her phone to like it.

"What?" I asked, putting my eyes back on the game.

"Just Nora's Instagram post," my body tensed at the mention of her name and I rejected the fuzzy feeling I felt in my chest, "she's so funny."

I gave her a quick glance, "how do you know her?"

I sensed her look up at me with her brows furrowed, "she was at Ben's little gathering remember?" Ah, yes. How could I not forget the utter shock I felt when I saw her there? I hadn't seen her in a while after she spat out her feelings for me and I wasn't expecting her to be there, or let alone be best "buddies" with Chilly. How did they even become friends anyway?

And for her and Tiana to get along and become friends? The sight threw me off and I just assumed that Nora wanted some intel or something, but then I saw them laughing together and now this? Now they follow each other on social media?

"Speaking of..." Tiana added, "is there something going on between you two, Ben?" My jaw ticked as I gave Ben a subtle glare, not keen on hearing his response. I saw how they acted around each other that night— heck I couldn't stop watching them out of sheer anger for Ben and already knew the answer. I was just afraid of the confirmation.

But then again it wasn't my right to be mad, I've moved on...

"Nah, we're just good friends.." He dismissed and I carefully observed him for any signs of him lying, not convinced.

"Seriously? Not even a little bit of interest?" Tiana asked, looking way too interested in the conversation. A part of me wanted to change the topic, but another part wanted some answers, so I stayed silent.

"I mean she's hot," my fists inadvertently clenched, "but I'm just not interested; I only see her as a friend." He shrugged and the grip on my fists slowly loosened.

"Yeah, "friends"" Tiana whispered teasingly into my ear and I subconsciously rolled my eyes.

"How did you guys become friends anyway.." My lips moved on their own as Ben looked at me with a knowing look.

"She was going through a lot a few months ago, still is I guess, and me and Chris helped her out." He shrugged and I furrowed my eyebrows.

"How long was a few months ago?" I could feel a confused pair of eyes on me at the amount of questions I was asking, but my curiosity was too strong to resist.

"I don't know, I found out around three months ago but I'm pretty sure it's been going on for four..?" I clenched my jaw. Four months ago was when she confessed to me.. I mean— surely it wasn't because of that.. She hates me for god's sake. How could my rejection hurt her that much?

"Why don't you invite her over?" My eyes shot to Tiana's as I saw her sporting an innocent grin on her face. I hadn't told her about my history with Nora or even told her about what happened that night on the balcony.. Which is I guess why they've become friends but I didn't want the dynamic of our relationship to change just because of a little crush I used to have on my coworker.

Ok maybe it was bigger than "a little crush" but—

"What?" I asked, a little shocked by her invitation.

"What? I'm the only girl here and I want some female company. Plus it could be like a cute little double date.." She wiggled her eyebrows at Chilly and we both rolled our eyes. I immediately looked at Chilly to observe his body language, seeing if he had the slightest bit of glint in his eyes or a smile— anything. But there was nothing, completely unaffected by her suggestion. But me? The thought of this "double date" made my blood boil. Even just the thought of my best friend and the girl I've liked since high school being together made me angry.