Chapter 1

Previously on Prologue

"I promise I'll always smile when life became hard, mother... I miss you, mom. But I know you're in a better place now..." she said in a soft voice as she thinks of her mother.

-The Incident-

Y/N P.O.V

I'm sitting in class, paying attention on the teacher. I place my chin on the palm of my hand, while the other is holding my pen. The class is getting pretty boring, because it's just a review. But I still decide to scribble down some notes every now and then on the things I think will be important or the details I have missed before.

As I write my notes, I feel someone staring at me. So I turn my head slightly to see a boy with dark curly hair. His eyes is lingering on me, without blinking.

He looks away as soon as he realize I'm staring back at him. All I know about him is just his name, Miles Fairchild. But that's it. We never said a word to one another. We just go to the same school... the same class.

I turn my head to look forward, not caring about his stare. I keep paying attention on the teacher. This time, ignoring the stares. Why did he even stare at me? Did he need something?

***

It's now break time. I gather my stuff and walk out of the class. I can hear a loud commotion. I turn my head to see a group of people gathering. I furrow my eyebrows.

Through a gap, I can see Miles. He's sitting on top of a boy. He's choking him and slamming his head onto the ground. The teacher soon comes into the scene and pulls Miles away from the boy.

I can hear the teacher instructs him follow him to the principle's office. Miles lets out a scoff. He turns his head and make eye-contact with me. He stares at me, much like how he did in class.

He look away as the teacher call out to him. He starts to walk, silently following the teacher. I can see him glancing at me, as he walks by me. But only for a brief seconds, and he looks forward as he follows the teacher. I just continue to make my way to school's canteen.

I try to look for an empty seat to sit. I found one not far from the food stall. I make my way towards it and take a seat. I take out the lunch I've packed for today and start to eat in silence.

A while later, I can see Miles walking in. He keeps his head down as he makes his way to another seat, not far from me. He keeps his head down, not doing a thing. He looks kind of troubled. But I don't know why. I don't even know why I'm concern of him. I mean... I don't even know him.

I can see his eyes flickering slightly. He slowly turn his head and looks back at me.

I flinch and looks away

I flinch and looks away. I steal a glance at him to see him still staring at me. I gulp and quickly gather my stuff. I slowly stand up and make my way out of the cafeteria. Why am I even reacting this way??

Time-skip

School hours is over. It's time to head back to our dorms. I decided to stay at the school's dormitory, because I don't wanna go home. I don't wanna see my dad. He didn't care about me. He would start yelling at me for no reason, and sometimes he would start to beat me.

I make my way towards my room, that I share with a girl name Ruby. She's really friendly. She's like the only friend I have in this school. Everyone else is either rude... or simply just... creepy.

I open the door and notice that Ruby isn't back yet. I walk towards my study desk and place my bag on top of it. I slowly make my way to my bed and lay down. I stare at the ceiling, while placing my arms behind my head to act as a pillow.

I hear the door open and turn my head. Ruby makes her way inside. "Hey, Y/N..." she said, with a smile on her face. "Hey" I said. She makes her way to her bed and sit down.

"Did you hear the news?" She said. I prop myself up using my elbows. "What news?" I asked. "Miles Fairchild got dropped out of school. Apparently he slams a boy's head on the ground and chokes him" she said. I nod my head at what she said.

"Oh yeah... I saw. I wonder what made him do stuff like that" I said, letting my body fall again. "I don't know... but from what I've heard. The boy he beat made fun of a girl and he got furious by it. That's why he start beating that boy up" she said. I let out a sigh.

"All that just because of a girl?" I said. "Well, maybe he have feelings for that girl. There's no other reason. They say love makes you do stupid things. Including getting into a fight" she said. I let out a huff and nod my head.

"Anyway, Y/N..." she said. "What?" I asked. "Can you help me with this assignment? I'm having a hard time to understand it" she said, giving me a puppy eyes. I let out a sigh and sit up. "Alright... come on" I said. She grins happily at me.

She takes out a book. I grab my chair and pull it next to hers. I take a seat next to her and start to read the instruction. It's some kind of research task, then she needs to make a little summary over the whole thing she have found.

We spend the whole night, working on her work. I've completed mine since the class. That's why I don't have to worry about it.

Soon enough, we finally finished with her task. "Y/N! Ahhh!! You're such a lifesaver! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!" She squealed. She throws herself on me. I let out a yelp at her sudden movement. I let out a soft laugh after recovering from the temporary shock.

We have our dinner after finish arranging our bags for class the next day. It's just a simple meal, while we talk about random things that comes into our minds.

"I'm gonna go and take a shower..." I said. Ruby just nods her head, with a smile. I grab my pajamas and enters the washroom. I walk towards the cubicle and set the water according to my preference. Once I'm satisfied, I step under the water and let my body relax.

What a day...

*to be continued*